Student Organizing Activist Training Webinar Agenda
- Welcome Introductions: When did you know you wanted to take action? – 30 min
- Who is Common Cause—Our Issues/Video – 15 min
- Personal and Political Power/Sustainable Democracy, Sustainable Living – 30 min
- Activism Part 1: VAST Vision, Assessment, Strategies, Tactics, Power mapping – 45 min
- Tools to Follow the Money – 15 min
- Activism Part 2: Steps to Action/Actions You Can Take – 30 Min
- Students SOAR Pledges: Passing the Torch/Next Steps – 15 min
Our young activist program aims to provide students the tools and resources to become better activists and advocates — creating a foundation for young people to become lifelong, active participants in our democracy.
Each summer, California Common Cause invests in bringing undergrad students from across California to our free Student Organizing and Activist Retreat over the summer. Our three-day training covers organizing and advocacy best practices, and how to run and win strategic campaigns. We also discuss practical solutions to improving our government and democracy, which include:
- getting dark money out of politics,
- increasing voter participation,
- holding lawmakers accountable,
- simplifying and modernizing the state initiative process,
- and promoting impartial and accessible media to support a healthy democracy.
The training is free and open to all undergraduate students in California.
To help us train the next generation of leaders, please donate today.
Throughout the Year
Our staff guides and elevates the work that young leaders are doing throughout the year:
- We work with and support Common Cause campus groups.
- We help host campus and community events and actions that bring attention to current campaigns and important legislation that impact young people.
- We host one-day trainings in the fall and winter at campuses across the state.We support and mentor students in their campus campaigns to improve democracy, from voter registration drives to passing resolutions to overturn Citizens United.
- We host happy hours and networking mixers for young members to connect and learn about ways to get involved.
We host interns (open to undergrads, graduate students and recent graduates) throughout the academic year and in the summer. If you are interested in interning, please email Alvin Valverde, Operations Manager. You can also stay up to date on opportunities offered.
- Are you a current student? Contact Helen Grieco if you live in Northern or Central CA, and Alvin Valverde if you live in Southern CA.
- Are you a current member and are interested in volunteering? Contact Helen Grieco if you live in Northern or Central CA.
- Please also consider sponsoring a student to attend a future Student Activist Retreat.