Our young activist program aims to provide students the tools and resources to become better activists and advocates — creating a foundation for young people to become lifelong, active participants in our democracy.
Student Activist Training
Each summer, California Common Cause invests in bringing undergrad students from across California to our free Student Activist Training over the summer. Our three-day training covers organizing and advocacy best practices, and how to run and win strategic campaigns. We also discuss practical solutions to improving our government and democracy, which include:
- getting dark money out of politics,
- increasing voter participation,
- holding lawmakers accountable,
- simplifying and modernizing the state initiative process,
- and promoting impartial and accessible media to support a healthy democracy.
The training is free and open to all undergraduate students in California.
To help us train the next generation of leaders, please donate today.
Throughout the Year
Our staff guides and elevates the work that young leaders are doing throughout the year:
- We work with and support Common Cause campus groups.
- We help host campus and community events and actions that bring attention to current campaigns and important legislation that impact young people.
- We host one-day trainings in the fall and winter at campuses across the state.We support and mentor students in their campus campaigns to improve democracy, from voter registration drives to passing resolutions to overturn Citizens United.
- We host happy hours and networking mixers for young members to connect and learn about ways to get involved.
We host interns (open to undergrads, graduate students and recent graduates) throughout the academic year and in the summer. If you are interested in interning, please email Alvin Valverde, Operations Manager. You can also stay up to date on opportunities offered.
- Are you a current student? Contact Helen Grieco if you live in Northern or Central CA, and Sylvia Moore if you live in Southern CA.
- Are you a current member and are interested in volunteering? Contact Helen Grieco if you live in Northern or Central CA, and Sylvia Moore if you live in Southern CA.
- Please also consider sponsoring a student to attend a future Student Activist Training.