Spring 2022 Internships
LOCATION: These internship positions are remote opportunities open to undergraduate or graduate students who either are from California or attend school in California.
California Common Cause is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to upholding the core values of our democracy. We work on voting rights, redistricting reform, government transparency, and money in politics to end structural inequities in our state and local democracies and to create governments at all levels that are accountable to and reflective of California’s communities.
We are seeking student interns to work on California programs relating to voting and elections, redistricting, student leadership programming, communications, and/or fundraising. Intern responsibilities will be determined based on interests, experience, and organizational needs. They may include:
Redistricting: Support an accessible and open redistricting process that leads to fair maps for all.
- Support efforts to promote independent redistricting in cities and counties across the state. This includes supporting coalitions, coordinating with local organizations, and/or educating the public about independent redistricting.
Voting and Elections: Support and promote all voting reforms in your community and on campus:
- Online Voter Registration
- Same Day Voter Registration
- Election Protection Poll Monitoring
Student Leadership Programming: Empower students and youth in California to play a role in shaping our democracy.
- Coordinate campus actions on campuses across the state.
- Support our annual Student Organizing and Activist Retreat (SOAR) and our Student Organizing Series (S.O.S) program by conducting outreach to college campuses and recruiting attendees to our 2022 programs.
Communications: Keep our members and the public engaged in our efforts to strengthen our democracy.
- Create website and social media content, including blog posts, graphics, one-pagers, videos, or other content types.
- Help manage social media accounts including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Fundraising: Help California Common Cause continue its efforts to promote an open, accessible democracy.
- Conduct research and data management to support our major donor program.
We are seeking interns for the following term:
Summer 2022: 10 week program, 10-20 hours/week
Application deadline is April 30th, 2022
Hours and start dates are flexible.
Interns will be paid $15 per hour, for up to 20 hours a week. Interns should seek course credit if possible, in addition to financial compensation.
We are seeking undergraduate or graduate students who either are from California or attend school in California. First-generation college students, low-income students, and/or students of color are encouraged to apply.
EQUITY & INCLUSION:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Common Cause is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Alvin Valverde, Operations Manager, at email@example.com and include “Internship Application – Name” in the subject line. The cover letter should include the program areas and responsibilities of interest to the applicant.
COMMON CAUSE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND WELCOMES APPLICANTS OF ANY RACE, CREED, COLOR, RELIGION, ETHNICITY, NATIONAL ORIGIN, INCOME CLASS, POLITICAL AFFILIATION, SEX, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY OR EXPRESSION, AGE, DISABILITY, VETERAN STATUS OR MARITAL STATUS, AS WELL AS APPLICANTS WHO HAVE BEEN PREVIOUSLY INCARCERATED.