Gerrymander Gazette: Worst Ideas of the Week Awards
Trainings and Events
- CHARGE Trainings
- Next Level Organizing (102) – Activism for Districting. Using Scripts: July 7th, 2021 from 7PM to 8PM ET. Register here.
- Let’s End Prison-Based Gerrymandering: July 8th, 2021 from 1PM to 2PM ET. Register here.
- Redistricting Community College: July 15th, 2021 from 6PM to 8PM ET. Register here.
- Next Level Organizing (102) – Activism for Districting. Using Scripts: July 17th, 2021 from 1PM to 3PM ET. Register here.
- How Redistricting Organizers Can Lay the Groundwork for Litigation: July 22nd, 2021 from 1PM to 2PM ET. Register here.
- Join Common Cause MD, Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, League of Women Voters MD on Thursday, July 8th, at 2:00 pm ET for a virtual information session to learn about the MD Fair Maps Campaign and opportunities to get involved. MD Fair Maps is a 2021/22 campaign led by the Tame the Gerrymander (TTG) coalition. TTG is a coalition of nonpartisan organizations working to establish a fair and open process for drawing election districts in Maryland. Register here.
- NAACP is offering a FREE day of training on redistricting on Monday, July 12 from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm ET titled Redistricting, Race, and Representation. Scheduled panelists include lawyers and senior staff from: CensusChannel LLC; The Law Offices of Carroll Rhodes; Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law; NAACP Connecticut State Conference; NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc.; NAACP Texas State Conference; Southern Coalition for Social Justice; Texas Southern University; and Yale Law School. This program is OPEN TO EVERYONE. You do NOT need to be a lawyer to attend, but lawyers may receive up to FIVE (5) CLE CREDITS. Register here. Educational session will include:
- Redistricting 101: The Basics of Redistricting
- Drawing Lines to Protect One Person – One Vote
- Litigating Claims Under Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act
- The Future of Redistricting
- We Draw Oregon is hosting a training session for Oregon residents titled Facilitating Community Mapping: Asking the Right Questions and Testimony Prep on July 13.
- New voting districts will be drawn in North Carolina this year. How the districts are drawn will have huge impacts on the representation of New Bern and the surrounding area. Join Common Cause North Carolina to learn how you can push back against gerrymandering and advocate for districts which accurately reflect your community. The event will be held on Thursday, July 15, at 6:00 PM ET on Zoom. Register here and learn more on our Facebook page.
- Join Asian and Pacific Islander American Vote (APIAVote), Common Cause, and the National Conference of American Indians (NCAI) on Wednesday, July 21st, from 7:00 to 8:00 pm ET, to get a sneak peek of what happens behind-the-scenes in the redistricting process. Learn the best practices around oral and written testimony from former redistricting commissioners and state legislators, in an interactive workshop. All are welcome! Register here.
- From Mi Familia Vota Texas team: Join us for our second training on CommUNITY MAPS on Thursday July 22nd at 4:30-6 PM CST! We will go more in depth on what is required for the redrawing of district maps and practice creating a DISTRICT map using our communities of interest in Texas! Register here.
- On Thursday, July 1, redistricting advocates in Ohio hosted a presentation titled “The Redistricting Puzzle? Where do the Courts Fit in?” This webinar describes various cases concerning redistricting that are already making their way through the courts, with some added details about the implementation of Ohio’s recently-passed reforms. Watch the video here.
- 🗑️Worst Ideas of the Week Award🗑️: and the winners are…
- Stephen Markman: Former justice says redistricting committee should ignore UM advice. KPVI. July 5, 2021.
- New Mexico Citizen Redistricting Committee: Redistricting panel rejects proposed rule on private talks. Associated Press. July 3, 2021.
- Census on Track for August Data Release After Court Ruling. Associated Press. June 30, 2021.
- The Supreme Court Deals A New Blow To Voting Rights, Upholding Arizona Restriction. NPR, July 1, 2021.
- Placer County: Placer Redistricting Commission hears first thoughts on amending districts. Gold Country Media. June 29, 2021.
- Santa Barbara County: Citizens Independent Redistricting Commission sets first in-person hearing. Santa Ynez Valley News. June 29, 2021.
- Redistricting panels to hold public hearing in Sterling Saturday. Sterling Journal Advocate. July 5, 2020.
- Legislative redistricting panel unveils first maps. The Daily Sentinel. June 30, 2021.
- Redistricting workshop encourages participation in Augusta’s hearing. Augusta Chronicle. July 2, 2021
- Residents call for voting district transparency; Rep. Greene supporters resist redistricting. Valdosta Daily Times. July 2, 2021.
- Maryland: Fair Maps Maryland calls for nonpartisan redistricting to end gerrymandering. Baltimore Fishbowl. July 1, 2021.
- What happens now that Michigan’s first round of redistricting hearings is complete? Michigan Live. July 4, 2021.
- Redistricting commission to meet in Grand Rapids Thursday, meeting open to the public. Holland Sentinel. June 30, 2021.
- Montana: Redistricting Commission to begin process with public comment. Sidney Herald. July 5, 2021.
- New Jersey: Bill to count inmates at their residential addresses for federal, county, local district lines heads to Murphy’s desk. New Jersey Globe. June 30, 2021.
- New Mexico: New Mexico redistricting committee adopts online public input portal. Santa Fe New Mexican. July 2, 2021.
- Ohio: New coalition says it’s time to get to work on Ohio redistricting. Mahoning Matters. July 3, 2021.
- Virginia: Redistricting Commission Prepares to Meet In-Person for the First Time. WVTF. July 5, 2021.
- Wisconsin: GOP asks Wisconsin Supreme Court to take redistricting case. Telegraph Herald. July 2, 2021.
- Redistricting Demography Mapping Specialist job opening at Common Cause. Location: Los Angeles, CA. Working directly with Common Cause redistricting staff and allies across the country, the Mapping Specialist will bolster community leaders’ engagement in 2021’s redistricting session by providing demographic mapping support. Apply here.
- Local Redistricting Commissions in California
- The City of Modesto’s hybrid redistricting commission is accepting applications until July 16. Apply here.
- The City of Merced is seeking applicants to its advisory redistricting commission. The deadline has not been announced, but applications will likely need to be submitted before the end of July, as the City Council is making appointments on August 2. Merced redistricting commissioners will host four redistricting hearings on August 12th at 6PM, September 15th at 6:00 PM PT, December 1st at 6:00 PM PT and January 22nd at 10;00 AM PT. Apply here.
- The City of Brentwood in Contra Costa County recently launched the application for its hybrid redistricting commission. They are currently accepting applications until August 2. Apply here.
This newsletter has been produced by Common Cause and compiled by Dan Vicuna. Subscribe to the Gerrymander Gazette here. For more information or to pass along news, contact Dan Vicuna.