LOCATION: Los Angeles, CA; Denver, CO; or Portland, OR (preferred)
This is for one position in one of these offices.
SALARY RANGE: $60,000 – $70,000/year, generous benefits package
This position is responsible for coordinating communications strategies and support in Western Region states to assist their strategic communications and media needs, keeping the team informed on upcoming opportunities and trends emerging from the west region, and working with state staff to increase capacity around communications functions.
Additionally, this position may have issue-specific content production or other tasks assigned to it by the VP of Communications.
Working directly with national and state staff to:
- Coordinating state activities, state executive directors or communications staff where applicable, state-based media, and other communications staff to coordinate
- Working on communication strategies to amplify the Common Cause work in California, Colorado, Hawaii, Nebraska, Oregon, Texas and other states as assigned.
- This work may include coordination of media efforts outside the west region.
- Work closely with national and state policy staff, and other communications and digital staff providing overall communication to each state operation.
Experience, education, and technical proficiency:
- Experience in strategic communications, media relations, social media, TV/Radio booking; long-form publication/production pitches;
- Experience understanding, developing, and interpreting public opinion data, framing research, and the essential function of translating complex public policy issues into narratives and stories that connect voters with common values, connect people, and connect to tools that help advocates win;
Ideal candidate will have:
- Strong writing and editing skills with accuracy and speed being highly valued;
- Knowledge of congressional or state legislative operations and political campaigns preferred;
- Ability to work in close collaboration with others, but also independently, and with remote management and colleagues;
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and perform a variety of tasks, solve problems and prevent them when possible;
- Well organized and attentive to detail.
EQUITY & INCLUSION:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Common Cause is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org and include WEST COAST REGIONAL COMMUNICATIONS STRATEGIST in the subject line; or fax to 202.355.7546. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to respond as soon as possible.