LOCATION: Washington, DC
SALARY RANGE: $55,000-$65,000; NOTE: This is a grant funded position through end of 2020.
Working as part of the Common Cause Communications department, this position is responsible for coordinating content creation and communications strategy for Common Cause’s Defend Our Constitution campaign to stop an Article V convention from being called and protect every American’s constitutional rights. Working with Common Cause’s communications, digital, policy, state, and campaign staff, along with key organizational allies, this position will be key in creating communications products for Common Cause and coalition allies, including social media, fact sheets, op-eds, LTEs, blog posts, media pitches, website content, advocacy emails, and message guidance.
Defend Our Constitution is a project of Common Cause that represents a coalition of nearly 250 organizations at the national, state, and local level that are committed to protecting every Americans’ constitutional and civil rights by stopping a special interest driven dangerous Article V convention. More information can be found at www.defendourconstitution.org.
- Developing and drafting key communications products for the Defend Our Constitution campaign, including social media, fact sheets, op-eds, LTEs, blog posts, media pitches, press releases, website content, advocacy emails, and message guidance.
- Coordinating and helping develop communications strategies to amplify key campaign messages with Common Cause’s state organizations and Defend Our Constitution coalition partners.
- Pitching media on the threat of an Article V convention, including proactive pitching, responsive/defensive pitching, and op-ed pitching, to print, digital, TV, and radio media.
- Working closely with national and state staff, and Defend Our Constitution coalition partners, to provide overall communications support for the Defend Our Constitution campaign.
- Monitoring national and state media and engaging allies in rapid response opportunities.
Experience, education, and technical proficiency:
- 2-4 years of experience of providing strategic communications, media relations, and/or social media support in nonprofit advocacy organizations, and/or on issue or political campaigns
Ideal candidate will have:
- Demonstrated ability working with under-served communities
- Strong writing and editing skills with accuracy and speed being highly valued
- Knowledge of congressional or state legislative operations and political campaigns preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work in close collaboration with others, but also independently, and with remote colleagues
- Ability to work under pressure and perform a variety of tasks, solve problems and prevent them when possible
- Organized and attentive to detail
EQUITY & INCLUSION:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Common Cause is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
Please submit resume, cover letter and salary requirements(optional) to Director of Human Resources at email@example.com and include COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR – DOC in the subject line; or fax to 202.355.7546. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applicants of any race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, income class, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or marital status, as well as applicants who have been previously incarcerated.