Common Cause Minnesota is seeking an Outreach and Engagement Organizer to support our voter engagement and redistricting mobilizing work. The ideal candidate is passionate about voting, our democracy, and collaborating with others to assist in our efforts to build a stronger, more diverse base throughout Minnesota that will build on our victories and ensure that we are furthering the cause of justice by holding power accountable. This is a full-time, one year position based in Minnesota, with the option to extend as funding allows.
- Assist in identifying local partners and leaders to take up local organizing around issues of democracy.
- Ensure Minnesotans, particularly those who are historically disenfranchised, Indigenous and Minnesotans of Color, have information and opportunity to provide direct input in the 2021 redistricting listening sessions and public hearings.
- Plan and host voter engagement events, forums and workshops by engaging our members and activists to facilitate discussions around determining what is needed to work through barriers of voter disenfranchisement.
- Assist in the expansion of our grassroots organizing network across the state through the MN Alliance for Democracy, a space Common Cause MN convenes for its Democracy Partners.
- Represent CCMN by tabling at community events.
The ideal candidate should demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills, leadership, attention to detail, organization, time management, and problem-solving abilities. More specifically, they will have:
• A love for policy and politics and the desire to move political reforms and economic justice.
• At least one year of experience with community organizing.
• Demonstrated commitment to cultural competency, including the ability to work effectively with those belonging to groups of diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, language, ability, age and socioeconomic status.
• Good writing skills.
• Willingness to work flexible hours—including occasional weeknights and weekends.
• Good public speaking skills.
• Event planning experience.
• Ability to build strong relationships with a wide array of partners and members.
• Ability to multi-task and to work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to travel and stay overnight throughout the state of Minnesota.
• Knowledge of voting rights and voting rights issues (preferred).
SALARY: $50,000 – $55,000 annually, plus a generous and competitive benefits package.
TO APPLY: Please submit resume and cover letter to the Director of Human Resources at email@example.com and include “Minnesota Outreach and Engagement Organizer” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Covid-19 vaccines are required, except where prohibited by law. Reasonable accommodations will be provided when required by law.
EQUITY AND INCLUSION: Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants of any race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, income class, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or marital status, as well as applicants who have been previously incarcerated. We are committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believe strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce, and strongly encourage those from historically under-served, underrepresented or marginalized communities to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
About us: Common Cause (501(c)(4)) and the Common Cause Education Fund (501(c )(3) are nonpartisan, nonprofit grassroots affiliate organizations dedicated to upholding the core values of American democracy. We work to create open, honest and accountable government that serves the public interest; promote equal rights, opportunity, and representation for all; and empower all people to make their voices heard in the political process.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, activities or responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice. Must be authorized to work in the United States.