A government that is of, by, and for the people should produce results and policies in the interest of everyday Americans. But in recent years, gridlock, hyper-partisanship, and out-of-date legislative process have been obstacles to progress the people seek. Working together, we’re fixing that.
Common Cause works on a wide range of issues to ensure that government works for every American across the country. Over the years, we have:
- Worked to reform the U.S. Senate to update its rules and curb abuse of the silent filibuster;
- Secured open-government and transparency reforms so that voters have more information about budgets, spending, and the legislative process;
- Advocated for a clean budgeting process, without special interest giveaways;
- Called for commonsense hearings and processes to ensure legislators do their job when it comes to considering presidential and gubernatorial appointments to the executive and judicial branch;
- Scrutinized, and in some cases opposed, presidential nominees when the nominee was unqualified for the position or opposed to American values.