Gerrymander Gazette: Big Win in Alabama Edition
January 25, 2022
Trainings and Events
- The Indianapolis-Marion County City County Council launched YourVoice2022 to collect public input on redistricting. Public meetings will be held in each of the nine townships in the city. The first was held on Saturday, January 22. Common Cause Indiana is encouraging its members to attend the public meetings and urge the City-County Council to create a citizens redistricting commission and to make public mapping software available. Learn more here.
- The State of Hawaii Reapportionment Commission will discuss and vote on final redistricting maps on January 28, 2022 at 1:00 pm HT. See the agenda for more information on submitting written or oral testimony.
Resources and Announcements
Yesterday, a group of Pennsylvania voters represented by the Public Interest Law Center, Dechert LLP, and Common Cause submitted a proposed plan as part of an amicus brief and expert report filed in two consolidated cases – Carter v. Chapman and Gressman v. Chapman. The voters’ brief asks the court to adopt their proposed redistricting plan in time for the May 2022 primary elections. Learn more and see the proposed map here.
- 🥇Win of the Week: Alabama’s congressional redistricting maps blocked: Federal judges seek more Black majority districts. AL.com. January 24, 2022. Learn more about all three cases at All About Redistricting.🥇
- Democrats make surprising inroads in redistricting fight. Associated Press. January 24, 2022.
- Democrats expected the worst in redistricting. State courts are blunting their losses. Los Angeles Times. January 21, 2022.
- Alaska: Trial begins over challenges to Alaska redistricting plan. Associated Press. January 21, 2022.
- Arizona: Arizona redistricting commission approves new congressional districts. Ballotpedia News. January 22, 2022.
- Florida: Florida redistricting plan faces opposition from DeSantis. January 22, 2022.
- Kansas: GOP map likely to hinder lone Democrat clears Kansas Senate. Associated Press. January 21, 2022.
- Kentucky: Kentucky Democratic Party suing over Republicans’ state and Congress redistricting maps. Courier Journal. January 21, 2022.
- Michigan: Republicans sue to block Michigan’s new congressional map. Associated Press. January 21, 2022.
- Ohio Redistricting Commission passes new 4-year maps for legislative districts, Supreme Court to review. Columbus Dispatch. January 22, 2022.
- The redistricting fiasco revealed the flaws in Ohio’s system. Do other states do it better? Cleveland.com. January 22, 2022.
- Pennsylvania: Pa.’s political calendar disrupted by leg. redistricting; Lawsuit asks state court to clean it up. Pennsylvania Capital-Star. January 20, 2022.
- Utah: Analysis: Hundreds supported independent redistricting. Associated Press. January 22, 2022.