Southwest Election Protection Coordinator – SW Ohio (part-time and short-term through the November election and must be able to travel around Southwest Ohio
Working in coordination with Common Cause Ohio’s executive director and Ohio Voting and Engagement Coordinator and partners, the Southwest Election Protection Coordinator will be responsible for recruiting, training, assigning and supervising Common Cause members and other volunteers to participate in voter protection activities as volunteer poll monitors in Southwest Ohio (Hamilton, Butler, and Montgomery counties).
- Expand coalition of Election Protection partners.
- Recruit voters to serve as non-partisan volunteer poll monitors, assisting voters and reporting problems at polling places. The focus will be on creating a diverse team of volunteers with a focus on outreach in underserved areas.
- Help organize volunteer trainings in Southwest Ohio and check-in sessions for volunteers.
- Provide training for volunteers, with the goal of greater engagement, and identify potential leaders.
- Memorialize bet practices, evaluate program, and recommend improvements for future Election Protection efforts
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- 2-5 years’ experience in community organizing and/or political campaigns.
- Experience coordinating volunteers.
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural competency, including the ability to work effectively with those belonging to groups of diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, language, ability, age and socioeconomic status.
- A demonstrated passion for social justice and reform issues.
- Demonstrated ability for clear, concise and persuasive writing.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to build and cultivate relationships with people and organizations of various orientations and backgrounds.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and public speaking skills and the ability to motivate people to act.
- Capable of juggling multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently, initiate projects and work with minimal supervision.
- Familiarity with, and skill in, online advocacy and social media campaigning.
- Flexibility to work some nights and weekends. Training and volunteer activities are often after traditional work hours.
This is a temporary, part-time contract position based in Southwest Ohio. Pay range is $2,000- $5,000 per month, depending on experience and hours worked.
TO APPLY: Please submit resume and cover letter to HR@commoncause.org and include –Election Protection Coordinator- SW OH- in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to respond as soon as possible, as we will conduct rolling interviews with a target start date of August 31, 2018.
ABOUT COMMON CAUSE:
Common Cause is a nonpartisan, grassroots organization dedicated to restoring core values of American Democracy, reinventing an open, honest, and accountable government that works for the public interest, and empowering ordinary people to make their voices heard. Founded 48 years ago, Common Cause has over 1 million members and supporters, and chapters in 35 states around the country. At the national and state level, Common Cause is actively engaged in defending and advancing the core values of our democracy, which include politics not dominated by money, full access to voting and fair elections, economic opportunity for all, an ethical and accountable government, and an open and democratic media. More information can be found at: www.commoncause.org.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, party or political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any illegal or prohibited factor.