1. A behind-the-scenes tour of the State House while the General Assembly is in session
2. Gathering engaged Rhode Islanders at the State House for a citizen lobbyist boot camp to learn firsthand about representative democracy, open government, and effective advocacy
We are pleased to announce that now that the legislative session has begun and the General Assembly returned to the State House, we resume our Rotunda Roundup program. These interactive sessions serve to introduce RI citizens, advocacy organizations, and community groups to the ins and outs of lobbying and how to navigate the complexities of Smith Hill. Each Rotunda Roundup can accommodate up to 12 people and can be customized according to the interests and skill level of the partnering organization. Program options include a narrated tour, insider tips on effective lobbying, meet and greet with GA members, and observing the GA in session both on the House and Senate floors and in committee.
· Inform citizens about concrete policy issues in RI
· Educate about the importance of open processes in advocacy work
· Build the capacity of citizen lobbyists
· Demonstrate the accessibility of civic participation
· Equip Rhode Islanders with the skills, tools, and resources needed to effectively advocate for legislative change
Create opportunities for learning and dialogue around Common Cause’s core mission of open and accountable government processes
2:50pm: Arrive State House – meet under Rotunda
3-4pm: Intro by Common Cause and partnering organization, intro by General Assembly member, insider stories and tips, overview of what to expect during program
4-5pm: Experience the House floor in action, brief State House tour, observe General Assembly in action from The Gallery before The Rise, observe committees in session
5-5:30pm: debrief, Q &A
If your group or organization is interested in learning more about what goes on behind-the-scenes at the State House or how to be more effective citizen lobbyists, please contact us at email@example.com or 401-861-2322.