Timeline: 8 weeks, June 1 through July 31
Hours: 20 hours/week; with scheduling flexibility
Location: Hybrid: mostly remote, with some Portland onsite possible
Compensation: $2720 total (paid in 4 equal twice monthly payments)
Supervisor: Common Cause Oregon Executive Director Kate Titus
ESSENTIAL FUNCTION: Support Common Cause’s public interest democracy work in Oregon by assisting with research on one or more democracy topics related to voting rights, money in politics, redistricting, and/or government ethics.
- Gain experience with a national nonprofit democracy organization.
- Become part of a nationwide network of Common Cause interns and alumni.
- Deepen understanding of the democratic process and of key democracy issues.
- Expand your public interest research skillset and toolbox.
- Get hands on applied research experience.
- Contribute to the greater public good.
Job Duties & Deliverables:
- Research: Investigate one or more issues. Gather and analyze data. Report back informally, then incorporate top findings into a briefing memo that can be used as an organizational resource. Depending on research results, may collaborate on authoring a guest editorial to be published.
- Operations Support: May assist with a few small administrative projects to support organizational operations.
- Schedule: Participate in 1-3 remote meetings weekly, including weekly check-ins with state supervisor, and occasional training and networking events with national intern cohort. Work independently, on own schedule, for most of the remaining hours. May also include a small amount of in-person work at the Common Cause Portland office (with Covid safety protocols).
- Interest in Common Cause mission.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Good quantitative and analytic skills.
- Working knowledge of Word and Excel.
- Undergraduate, graduate, or recent graduate.
Salary: $2,040 for the 8 weeks paid in 4 equal twice monthly payments on the 15th and last day of the month.
Classification: This position is classified as temporary and therefore not included in the union-represented collective bargaining unit.
To Apply: Complete the application found here. It will take about 15 minutes to respond to the questions but a cover letter, resume, and gmail email address is required. Some offices may require a writing sample at the time of the interview.
Covid-19 vaccines are required, except where prohibited by law. Reasonable accommodations will be provided when required by law.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants of any race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, income class, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status, as well as applicants who have been previously incarcerated.
About Common Cause
Common Cause (501(c)(4)) and Common Cause Education Fund (501(c)(3)) are nonpartisan, nonprofit grassroots affiliate organizations dedicated to upholding the core values of American democracy. We work to create open, honest, and accountable government that serves the public interest; promote equal rights, opportunity, and representation for all; and empower all people to make their voices heard in the political process.