We all want free and fair elections.
Every New Yorker that is eligible to vote has the right to unfettered access to the ballot box, but with voter roll purges, polling place closures, and faulty voting machines, thousands of New Yorkers too often see that right denied..
Democracy thrives when voters are empowered and Election Protection helps voters overcome barriers to the ballot box. As part of the largest national nonpartisan voter assistance program, we educate voters, document problems on the ground, and remove obstacles to voting – so that every ballot can be cast and counted.
During the 2020 General Election, Common Cause NY led the biggest Election Protection program in state history. Through Election Protection, Common Cause NY:
- Trained and recruited over 570 volunteers to monitor busy poll sites and assist voters in 37 counties across the state;
- Connected hundreds of voters with the 800-OUR-VOTE voter protection hotline;
- Answered over two thousand voter questions on social media.
Help Protect Our Democracy
Join us in safeguarding our elections by signing up to be a:
- Poll Monitor: Identify issues at the polls, answer voters’ questions, and connect those who are denied a ballot to legal resources. PPE will be provided.
- Roving Poll Monitor: Drive or bike between polling places and check on lines, signage, and poll preparation. Report back to HQ on any problems at the polls that need to be solved.
- Social Media Monitor: Search for social media posts that share issues at the polls, connect voters to resources and support, and report election-related mis- and disinformation.