Role: Fair Courts Campaign Manager (NM)
Location: Remote within New Mexico, occasional travel to Albuquerque and Santa Fe
Start Date: Immediate
Reports to: Interim Executive Director, NM
Details: Full-time, temporary employment (6 months) (June 2023 – December 2023)
Essential functions: The Fair Courts Campaign manager works in collaboration with the Executive Director and Common Cause New Mexico (CCNM) contractors and staff. This role will manage grant funding and agreements, develop strategy, and execute all aspects of Common Cause New Mexico’s Fair Courts policy, working closely with state staff, including judicial independence, judicial ethics, judicial public financing programs, and judicial campaign finance reforms. This position offers a significant opportunity to expand the reach and influence of the organization.
Grassroots/Grass tops Organizing
- Develop and execute a strategy for civic and community engagement in politically and culturally diverse communities around Fair Courts issues
- Build and foster new and existing relationships with partners to ensure community voices are heard and included in meaningful ways at all stages of campaign development
- Attend coalition meetings, speak to community groups, and identify opportunities for collaboration
- Build grassroots support for reforms by mobilizing members and the public through direct outreach, including planning, and implementing outreach activities
- Liaise with partner organizations to get their members involved in campaign activities (e.g., town halls, house parties, door knocking, phone banks, etc.)
- Recruit volunteers to support CCNM core campaigns and the organization
- Assist Executive Director with drafting and editing grant proposals and reports
- Ensure grant deliverable deadlines are met for Fair Courts program work
- Contribute written progress reports regularly to the Common Cause New Mexico Advisory Board
- Guide Fair Courts policy-related digital media campaigns and message framing with CCNM staff, contractors, and community partners
- Assist with social media campaigns and communications relevant to Fair Courts campaign
- Coordinate Fair Courts policy talking points for community partners and CCNM staff
- This position may also require that the applicant make occasional media appearances
Policy and Program Development
- Work with policy makers, CCNM directors, and partners to create, analyze, and implement policy in the areas of fair courts including judicial elections, judicial campaign finance, judicial public financing, and judicial codes of ethics
- Develop and refine programs to improve public participation and access to the judicial system and judicial election at all levels.
- Coordinate with experts and researchers to identify systemic problems with the judiciary and craft effective solutions to ensure better inclusion and equity.
- Assist with lobbying related to Fair Courts issues and policy at the state and municipal levels.
- Coordinate and facilitate meetings, townhall information sessions, and create materials for policy makers regarding Fair Courts issues.
- Attend and testify at public meetings, including judiciary convenings, city councils, county commissions, and the NM Legislature
- Work with CCNM staff to coordinate events to educate the public and decision-makers about judicial independence, judicial-related democracy issues, and the organization.
- May include other duties as assigned.
Required Experience, education, and technical proficiency:
- 3-5 years’ experience in policy or electoral campaigns
- Familiar with the legislative and judicial process in New Mexico
- Skilled at using social media to engage communities.
- Candidates may not currently be in elected office or running for office
- A demonstrated commitment to Common Cause’s mission of an open, accountable, and ethical government for New Mexico
- A demonstrated ability to engage citizens at the grassroots level.
- Compelling written and speaking skills on policy issues.
- Ability to implement a campaign plan.
- Experience working with diverse groups of stakeholders (this position involves significant contact with members, key stakeholders, and volunteers)
- Superior organizational skills, with ability to execute multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Self-starter with ability to work independently in a deadline-driven environment with competing priorities.
- Ability to travel to Albuquerque and Santa Fe 1-2 times each month.
Salary Range: $5,500-$6,000/month, ($33,000-$36,000 for the term of the six-month engagement)
Classification: This position is classified as temporary and therefore not included in the union-represented collective bargaining unit.
To Apply: Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com and include Fair Courts Campaign Manager (NM) in the subject line. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants of any race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, income class, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status, as well as applicants who have been previously incarcerated.
About Common Cause
Common Cause (501(c)(4)) and Common Cause Education Fund (501(c)(3)) are nonpartisan, nonprofit grassroots affiliate organizations dedicated to upholding the core values of American democracy. We work to create open, honest, and accountable government that serves the public interest; promote equal rights, opportunity, and representation for all; and empower all people to make their voices heard in the political process.
Founded in 1970 and headquartered in Washington, DC, Common Cause has more than 1.5 million members (about the population of New Hampshire) and supporters living in every Congressional district in the United States, and offices in 30 states around the country.