ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: This role is responsible for supervising members of the Common Cause finance team, ensuring accurate, timely recording of all transactions and the timely preparation of reports, enforcing accounting principles, implementing policies to ensure adherence to internal controls and statutory requirements.
RESPONSIBILITIES: This is a full-time position working in our national office. Duties will include but not be limited to:
- Manages and monitors all accounts, ledgers and reporting systems ensuring compliance with GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Supports organization objectives by providing financial analyses and recommendations and directing the finance team to meet the objectives.
- Oversees revenue processing, including review and approval, and the upload of all contribution data to the accounting system.
- Oversees grant management from a financial perspective to ensure accurate recording of restricted and unrestricted grants, proper spend down and adherence to grant budgets and schedules.
- Working with the development team, assists with grant budget proposals and generates progress reports as needed.
- In conjunction with the CFO, coordinates budget preparation, collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial information, and advising senior management on the collection and analysis of data.
- Generates reports to assist program managers to carry out their budget responsibilities.
- Develops and enforces internal controls to maximize protection of company assets, policies, procedures, and workflow.
- Oversees and supports the accounting team with dynamic leadership that creates an environment of trust and productivity.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field.
- CPA preferred.
- 10+ years progressively more responsible professional experience.
- Thorough knowledge of budgeting and accounting practices, processes, and procedures of non-profit organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, direct and coordinate accounting operations and direct personnel.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and accounting software (Sage Intacct, Bill.com or similar programs a plus.)
- Strong computer literacy to include Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Sharepoint.
- Effective written and oral communications skills.
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- The ability to act with tact, discretion, and diplomacy.
- Working Knowledge and proficiency with social media tools including Facebook and Twitter.
EQUITY & INCLUSION: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Common Cause is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
SALARY RANGE: $120,000 – $130,000, plus generous benefits package.
TO APPLY: Please submit Resume and Cover Letter to Common Cause’s Senior Director of Human Resources at email@example.com and include Director of Finance in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Covid-19 vaccines are required, except where prohibited by law. Reasonable accommodations will be provided when required by law.
ABOUT COMMON CAUSE: Common Cause (501(c)(4)) and Common Cause Education Fund (501(c)(3)) are nonpartisan, nonprofit grassroots affiliate organizations dedicated to upholding the core values of American democracy. We work to create open, honest, and accountable government that serves the public interest; promote equal rights, opportunity, and representation for all; and empower all people to make their voices heard in the political process.
Founded in 1970 and headquartered in Washington, DC, Common Cause has more than 1.2 million members (about the population of New Hampshire) and supporters living in every Congressional district in the United States, and offices in 30 states around the country.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants of any race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, income class, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status, as well as applicants who have been previously incarcerated.