Event: Civil and Voting Rights Groups Urge Legislature to Pass Connecticut Voting Rights Act
- Cheri Quickmire firstname.lastname@example.org
Please join members of the Connecticut General Assembly and representatives from civil rights and voting rights groups, including: LatinoJustice PRLDEF, ACLU CT, Common Cause in Connecticut, the Legal Defense Fund (LDF), and Hispanic Federation for a press conference urging Connecticut legislators to pass the Connecticut Voting Rights Act (CTVRA).
Proposed bills to enact the Connecticut Voting Rights Act have been filed in both the House and Senate. If the legislation is enacted, Connecticut will join California, Washington, Oregon, Virginia, and New York in a growing group of states with comprehensive state-level voting rights acts that affirmatively protect voters from discriminatory rules and practices.
Provisions in the proposed legislation include:
- Providing new legal tools to fight discriminatory voting rules in court;
- Expanding language assistance for voters with limited English proficiency;
- Creating strong protections against voter intimidation, deception, or obstruction;
- Creating a central hub for election data and demographic information, and more.
Confirmed Speakers (subject to change):
- Rep. Hubert D. Delaney III,
- Sen. Mae Flexer, Chair, Government Administration and Elections Committee,
- Sen. Matt Lesser,
- Rep. Geraldo Reyes Jr.,
- Fulvia Vargas-de León, Senior Counsel, LatinoJustice PRLDEF,
- Yanidsi Velez, New England Regional Director, Hispanic Federation,
- Jess Zaccagnino, policy counsel, ACLU of Connecticut
When: Tuesday, January 31, 10am ET
Where: Hearing Room 1E, Legislative Office Building, 300 Capitol Ave, Hartford, CT 06106
Press interested in attending the event can RSVP here.
Learn more about the Connecticut Voting Rights Act here.