LOCATION: This position will be based in the Denver, CO; Portland, OR; Los Angeles, CA; or Bay Area, CA (preferred) Common Cause office.
SALARY: $65,000 – $75,000 annually
OBJECTIVE: Working as part of the Common Cause (CC) Communications Department, this position is responsible for coordinating communications strategies and support in west region states to assist their strategic communications and media needs; working as part of communications department keep the team informed on upcoming opportunities and trends emerging from the east region; and working with state staff to increase capacity around communications functions.
You will be reporting to the CC Vice President of Communications and working directly with CC national and state staff.
- Coordinating state activities, state executive directors or communications staff where applicable, state-based media, and other communications staff.
- Working on communication strategies to amplify Common Cause’s work in California, Colorado, Hawaii, Nebraska, Oregon, Texas and other states as assigned.
- Creation of multimedia content including Canva graphics and videos for social media, and Wibbitz video production for national and state.
- Assistance in writing, editing and pitching op-eds and letters to editors for state staff.
- Writing press releases, media advisories, and talking points to prepare state staff for media interviews.
- Managing social media accounts and content for Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for select states.
- Updating select state webpages with press releases, statements, advisories, news clips and supporting material.
- Organizing and hosting online media briefings with select states which includes the technical operation of Zoom conferencing and serving as on-camera moderator of webinars and media briefings to enable state directors to partake in panels.
- Organizing and producing Facebook Live streaming shows (including booking weekly guests, scripting talking points, building and promoting social media and technical operation of Zoom to Facebook Live streaming behind the scenes).
- During elections, coordinating social media content from staff and volunteers who serve as poll monitors at vote centers. (This includes shooting pictures and videos of staff on the scene and voters who have just cast their ballots.)
- Working closely with Common Cause National and State policy staff, as well as other communications and digital staff to provide overall communication to each state operation.
- Experience in strategic communications, media relations, social media, TV/Radio booking; long-form publication/production pitches;
- Strong writing and editing skills with accuracy and speed being highly valued;
- Knowledge of congressional or state legislative operations and political campaigns preferred;
- Experience understanding, developing, and interpreting public opinion data, framing research, and the essential function of translating complex public policy issues into narratives and stories that connect voters with common values, connect people, and connect to tools that help advocates win;
- Ability to work in close collaboration with others, but also independently, and with remote management and colleagues;
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and perform a variety of tasks, solve problems and prevent them when possible;
- Be well organized and attentive to detail.
TO APPLY: Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line WEST REGION COMMUNICATIONS.
ABOUT COMMON CAUSE:
Common Cause (501(c)(4)) and Common Cause Education Fund (501(c)(3)) are nonpartisan, nonprofit grassroots affiliate organizations dedicated to upholding the core values of American democracy. We work to create open, honest, and accountable government that serves the public interest; promote equal rights, opportunity, and representation for all; and empower all people to make their voices heard in the political process. Founded in 1970 and headquartered in Washington, DC, Common Cause has more than 1.2 million members and supporters living in every Congressional district in the United States, and offices in 30 states around the country. More information can be found at: www.commoncause.org.
EQUITY & INCLUSION: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.