OBJECTIVE: The Voting Rights and Redistricting Program Manager will lead California Common Cause’s work on voter protection, election administration, and local redistricting. The Program Manager will use a variety of tools in their work, including policy analysis and development, legislative and administrative advocacy, research, strategic communications, coalition organizing, and public engagement. The person in this role will collaborate daily with colleagues inside the organization and work in constant coalition with external partners.
LOCATION: You may be located anywhere in Southern California, with the choice to be fully remote, partially remote, or fully based in our Downtown Los Angeles office.
SALARY: $70,000 – $85,000 annually; commensurate.
- Local redistricting: Build and lead coalitions at the local level dedicated to engaging diverse communities in city and county redistricting processes; plan and execute shared advocacy; create and distribute community education and engagement materials; track policies and reforms relevant to local redistricting; monitor the local redistricting processes in the Southern California region and engage in advocacy as needed.
- State redistricting: Help monitor the state redistricting commission and engage with partner organizations on do shared advocacy; participate in community education efforts.
- Election administration: Lead CA Common Cause’s implementation work on major California election reforms, with an emphasis on Los Angeles County and Southern California, including but not limited to the Voter’s Choice Act. Maintain relationships with local partners interested in election administration and voting rights; maintain relationships with elections officials. Lead election advocacy work in the Southern California region as well as on the statewide level. Track election developments in the legislature as well as from the California Secretary of State’s office. Serve on county and statewide advisory committees relating to voting systems, election models, and more.
- Election protection: Design and manage election protection / poll monitoring programs every two years, or supervise staff who design and manage these programs. Collaborate with partners and coordinate with elections officials. Make decisions on how to best use poll monitoring findings to leverage future opportunities.
- Policy analysis and research: Write post-election reports based on poll monitor findings. Support policy analysis and research efforts, occasionally complete or support the completion of reports.
- Supervisory responsibility: Manage small teams of staff working on Election Protection program and local redistricting programs. Supervise contractors, interns, and volunteers as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 4-10 years of experience in policy, campaigns, coalition-management, and/or organizing.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate efforts with various stakeholders, produce written policy analysis and/or reports, and manage projects.
- Familiarity with state election policy/law and redistricting highly preferred.
- Commitment to the public interest and Common Cause’s mission.
- Excellent speaking, writing, presentation, and critical analysis skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and organizing ability. Strong interpersonal skills.
- Extremely high attention to detail and extremely strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural competency, including the ability to work effectively with those belonging to groups of diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, language, ability, age and socioeconomic status.
- Working knowledge and proficiency with social media tools including Facebook and Twitter; proficient with Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work independently in a deadline-driven environment with competing priorities.
- Willingness to travel and flexibility to occasionally work evenings and weekends.
- Flexible, self-starter, multi-tasker with the ability to thrive in an open office environment.
HOW TO APPLY: Send resume, cover letter and three references to Director of Human Resources (email@example.com). Include “CA Voting Rights and Redistricting Program Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a full-time role. The person filling the role must have flexibility to work some nights and weekends. Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, activities or responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
ABOUT US: Common Cause (501(c)(4)) and Common Cause Education Fund (501(c)(3)) are nonpartisan, nonprofit grassroots affiliate organizations dedicated to upholding the core values of American democracy. We work to create open, honest, and accountable government that serves the public interest; promote equal rights, opportunity, and representation for all; and empower all people to make their voices heard in the political process. Founded in 1970 and headquartered in Washington, DC, Common Cause has more than 1.2 million members and supporters living in every Congressional district in the United States, and offices in 30 states around the country.
Equity and inclusion:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants of any race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, income class, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or marital status, as well as applicants who have been previously incarcerated. We are committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.