ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Work in coordination with Common Cause Communications and Voting and Elections Teams to develop national and state voting and elections communications strategies. Core scope of work will include developing materials and talking points for election protection and anti-voter sabotage efforts (election subversion), partner with key allies to develop community messaging and support state programs.
- Work closely with Common Cause National staff, as well as other communications and digital staff, to implement voting and elections communications strategies.
- Coordinate Common Cause election protection communications activities for the primary and general elections. Work to support state voting communications response.
- Work with coalition partners in developing content and messaging.
- Staff voting and elections communications working groups and support coalition projects.
- Assist national and state staff in writing, editing, and pitching op-eds and letters to editors.
- Write press releases, media advisories, and talking points to prepare state staff for media interviews.
- Organize and host media briefings, update and maintain voting and elections webpages, news clips and supporting materials.
- Document and maintain story collection database.
- 7-9 years’ experience working in strategic communications.
- Experience in strategic communications, media relations, social media, TV/Radio booking; long-form publication/production pitches.
- Strong writing and editing skills with accuracy and speed being highly valued.
- Knowledge of congressional or state legislative operations and political campaigns preferred.
- Experience understanding, developing, and interpreting public opinion data, framing research, and the essential function of translating complex public policy issues into narratives and stories that connect voters with common values, connect people, and connect to tools that help advocates win.
- Ability to work in close collaboration with others, but also independently, and with remote management and colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and perform a variety of tasks, solve problems, and prevent them when possible.
- Well organized and attentive to detail.
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural competency, including the ability to work effectively with those belonging to groups of diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, language, ability, age, and socioeconomic status.
- Commitment to Common Cause objectives.
EQUITY & INCLUSION: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Common Cause is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
SALARY RANGE: $85,000 – $100,000; plus, a generous benefits package
TO APPLY: Please submit resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Director of Human Resources at email@example.com and include Voting and Elections Communications Strategist in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Covid-19 vaccines are required, except where prohibited by law. Reasonable accommodations will be provided when required by law.