ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The Demography Mapping Specialist, reporting to the Redistricting & Representation Director, will work with Common Cause staff and allies around the country to support demographic research, mapping and analysis needs.
SALARY RANGE: $63,000 – $67,000 annually, commensurate with experience.
● Provide mapping assistance, demographic analysis research, training and technical assistance;
● Work directly with staff responsible for running redistricting and related representation program activities, as well as state executive directors/staff, and others;
● Support Common Cause work in states to provide research, community mapping, analysis and training as needed.
● Excitement about supporting community engagement through redistricting mapping and pursuing innovative, equitable solutions to gerrymandering;
● Strong interest in census and redistricting through a race equity lens;
● Work well in teams and with people and groups from all backgrounds and political beliefs;
● Well-organized, detail-oriented and a good communicator;
● Able to exercise judgment, balance deadlines, and work through complicated issues in collaboration with a team;
● Have a sense of humor.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
● 2-5 years of experience in working with or researching traditionally under-represented communities (preferably
using GIS mapping tools);
● Experience conducting analysis using demographic data;
● Flexibility to learn and provide assistance on multiple mapping platforms to assist community leaders’ engagement in redistricting;
● Ability to engage in quantitative research to support coalition, advocacy, and engagement needs.
● Experience with analyzing proposed redistricting maps;
● Knowledge of analyzing demographic data and readiness to lift up community narratives;
● Advanced skills in data research and GIS mapping skills sufficient to enable you to train others and provide
technical assistance to organizers around the country;
● Familiarity with and willingness to dig deep on current issues such as partisan gerrymandering measures,
community of interest analysis and prison-based gerrymandering;
● Experience writing reports, creating presentations, and communicating findings.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Director of Human Resources at email@example.com with subject line “CA Redistricting Demography Mapping Specialist”. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
- Common Cause staff are teleworking at present due to COVID-19, so this position will begin remotely.
- Must be able to withstand long periods of sitting and working on a computer.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States.
- To learn more about Common Cause CA, click here.
Affirmative Action/EEO statement: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Common Cause is committed to equity and diversity. Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applicants of any race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, income class, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or marital status, as well as applicants who have been previously incarcerated.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.