Common Cause is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to upholding the core values of our democracy. We work on voting rights, redistricting reform, government transparency, and money in politics to end structural inequities in our state and local democracies and to create governments at all levels that are accountable to and reflective of the communities we serve.
LOCATION: Washington D.C. or Remote
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: We are seeking an intern who will help power Common Cause’s movement for a stronger democracy by using their website skills. This intern will write content, build web pages using WordPress, and tell the story of how people are working together to defend the right to vote. They will assist with updating our state websites as well as our national websites and gathering key site analytics. Individuals with a keen interest in website management and user engagement, plus a can-do attitude and a commitment to a fair and transparent democracy, are highly encouraged to apply.
COMPENSATION: Interns will be paid $600 as an untaxed stipend every 2 weeks. There will be a total of four payments.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Assist staff with a range of advocacy and communications activities, including:
- Regularly updating and producing webpage content, based on messaging guidance, digital communications, and other Common Cause publications to reflect the organization’s ongoing work, campaigns, and victories.
- Working across departments and state organizations to keep our website as engaging and up-to-date as possible.
- Tracking digital analytics, like average monthly visitors, average Google Rankings, and other industry standard Key Performance Indicators.
- Writing posts for Common Cause’s Democracy Wire blog.
- Track, categorize, and respond to member inquiries that come in through our organizational inbox in a timely fashion.
- Ideal candidates will be passionate about good government issues.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Must have strong writing skills.
- Some familiarity with WordPress and Google analytics preferred.
- Beginner to intermediate understanding of using HTML/CSS preferred.
EQUITY & INCLUSION: All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Common Cause is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
TO APPLY: Complete the application found here. It will take about 15 minutes to respond to the questions but a cover letter and resume is required. Some offices may require a writing sample at the time of interview.
COMMON CAUSE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND WELCOMES APPLICANTS OF ANY RACE, CREED, COLOR, RELIGION, ETHNICITY, NATIONAL ORIGIN, INCOME CLASS, POLITICAL AFFILIATION, SEX, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY OR EXPRESSION, AGE, DISABILITY, VETERAN STATUS OR MARITAL STATUS, AS WELL AS APPLICANTS WHO HAVE BEEN PREVIOUSLY INCARCERATED.