Who We Are: Common Cause is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to upholding the core values of our democracy. We work on voting rights, redistricting reform, government transparency, and money in politics to end structural inequities in our state and local democracies and to create governments at all levels that are accountable to and reflective of the communities we serve.
Where We Are: New Mexico/Remote. Although this position is a remote internship, some in -person work will be required. Common Cause requires proof of vaccination.
Who You Are: You are a soon-to-be graduate whose curiosity drives you to dig deeper for information, ask tougher questions, and learn through experience:
- A strong writer – able to communicate effectively and concisely
- A thoughtful researcher – comfortable with independently gathering information and analyzing it, armed with nothing but your headphones, laptop, and an internet connection;
- Detail oriented and collaborative
- Adaptable, action-oriented, creative, and entrepreneurial self-starter
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize across multiple projects at the same time under deadline with careful attention to detail
- Effectively communicates complex ideas in a clear and concise manner
- Excels working independently and as part of a team
- Builds trust and confidently collaborates with internal and external partners
- Identifies important trends and starts discussions about how these may impact the work
What You’ll Do: Assist staff with a range of advocacy and communications activities, including:
- Assisting with grassroots efforts such as phone outreach to current and potential supporters and general petition gathering to raise awareness of reforms;
- Assisting with policy development, social media, and other written outreach particularly around fair courts, rank choice voting, election awareness and election protection;
- Organizing and promoting events including policy forums and rallies;
- Meeting with elected officials, coalition partners, and community groups to discuss good government reforms and our long-term agenda;
- Educate and engage voters so they are informed about the 2022 elections and any changes to the voting process. This includes developing educational materials and social media materials, working with local organizations to provide elections support, and/or mobilizing our members.
- Support election protection efforts to recruit and train volunteers across the state. This includes supporting local election protection partners
COMPENSATION: Interns will be paid $600 as an untaxed stipend every 2 weeks. There will be a total of four payments.
QUALIFICATIONS: Must be passionate about good government issues. Must be self-motivated and able to work independently. Excellent writing, researching, and editing skills are required; must be familiar with Microsoft Word, Publisher, Excel. Experience with Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter are helpful. Ability to work cooperatively with a diverse range of community partners. Good listening and communication skills.
EQUITY & INCLUSION: All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Common Cause is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce. Individuals who identify as BIPOC or are multilingual are encouraged to apply.
TO APPLY: Complete the application found here. It will take about 15 minutes to respond to the questions but a cover letter and resume is required. Some offices may require a writing sample at the time of the interview.
COMMON CAUSE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND WELCOMES APPLICANTS OF ANY RACE, CREED, COLOR, RELIGION, ETHNICITY, NATIONAL ORIGIN, INCOME CLASS, POLITICAL AFFILIATION, SEX, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY OR EXPRESSION, AGE, DISABILITY, VETERAN STATUS OR MARITAL STATUS, AS WELL AS APPLICANTS WHO HAVE BEEN PREVIOUSLY INCARCERATED.