Redistricting is Coming!
Redistricting will happen in every state in 2021. Common Cause is already preparing by organizing citizens for action.
- Coalitions are establishing model redistricting commissions that will draw alternative maps through a people-powered process.
- With the Census Bureau requiring more time to effectively process population data, reformers have supported litigation to prevent this updated schedule from shortening timelines for essential public participation in redistricting.
- Reform organizations are training citizens to lead community mapping sessions that will allow residents to effectively tell the stories of their communities.
- While states launch independent citizen redistricting commissions that the public fought to create, advocates are ensuring that these entities represent the diversity of the jurisdictions in which they are located.
- Advocates are training local governments on best practices for drawing fair maps.
- Citizens seeking to change how districts are drawn are going to court to ensure that the pandemic doesn’t interfere with ballot initiative efforts.