Community Engagement in Redistricting
The following resources are designed to help our communities participate in the redistricting process.
- Redistricting FAQ: answers questions you may have regarding the overall process and its procedures.
- Community of Interest Testimony Worksheet: provides guidance and support so you can plan out what you would like to say to those empowered to draw districts.
- Local Redistricting Checklist: includes important benchmarks local decisionmakers should meet to establish an accessible and inclusive process. Wherever you are in the process, these resources are sure to meet all your diverse needs.
Learn About the 2021 Redistricting Process
Common Cause is working with the Coalition Hub for Advancing Redistricting Through Grassroots Engagement (CHARGE). This coalition has created the Redistricting Community College, which provides educational materials to empower ordinary citizens with information about the following topics:
- Introduction to Redistricting
- Voting Rights Act
- Community Mapping: Training the Trainers
- Redistricting Timelines and Rules
- Redistricting Advocacy: Improving Transparency and Providing Testimony
- Redistricting Coalition Building and Organizing
As a result of pandemic-related delays that pushed back the schedule for census operations last year, the U.S. Census Bureau will not deliver population data that states need for redistricting until around September 30, 2021. Although this delay is necessary to properly process data and ensure accuracy, it has caused disruptions in states with early redistricting and election deadlines and could make it more difficult for redistricting to be transparent and inclusive. Common Cause has detailed the problem and state-specific solutions in our report Runaway Redistricting: How the Rush to Redistricting Can Leave Communities Behind.
The Common Cause activist guide to redistricting reform, titled “Redistricting Reform: Mapping Our Future,” includes some of the most important things citizens need to know about how to end gerrymandering. This guide includes:
- What redistricting is;
- Why redistricting is important;
- Reforms states have implemented and current reform campaigns to make redistricting a more fair and transparent process; and
- Steps to winning reform;
- Common Cause and coalition guidelines and principles for reform.