Fair Districts May All Volunteer Huddle Follow Up
Thanks to the more than 240 Fair Districts advocates who attended the May All Volunteer Huddle last night. It was a lively session with lots of questions and participation. Check out the slides and recording.
The Huddle focused on SJR2, the resolution that was passed by the Ohio General Assembly last week that would make it essentially impossible for any future citizen-led initiative to get on the ballot.
At the May 18 Ballot Board meeting, the resolution was officially termed “Issue 1” and the proposed ballot language was accepted by majority vote. With that final piece in place, the “Vote No in August” campaign begins in earnest!
Most of the Huddle focused on actions you can take to get out the word about the August election and urge your voters to protect majority rule in Ohio. Fighting for a “no” vote in August is the first step in our ongoing fight for a fair redistricting process in Ohio.
Please review the action steps below – we need your help!
Ways to Get Involved in “Vote NO in August” efforts
- Request your absentee ballot today by printing and mailing the correct absentee ballot request forms, or by calling your county board of elections for an application.
- Join “Vote No in August” campaign HERE.
- Follow the campaign on social media: @votenoinaugust
- Share info via Social media: hashtags: #VoteNoInAugust, #OnePersonOneVote
- Order “No on August” voter outreach fliers & pledge cards HERE
- Share your opinion – we have professional writers and editors ready to help!
- Write a Letter to the Editor of your local paper – LTE Training Video and toolkit.
- Help us build a living repository of why Ohioans are voting NO in August. Send your name, town and county of residence, photo and why you’re voting No to email@example.com.
- Schedule a voter education presentation to your group
- Get trained to educate voters: June 23 at 12:00pm on zoom. Register HERE
- Volunteer to distribute information at spring & summer tabling opportunities
- Sign up to be an Election Protection volunteer HERE
- Order and distribute VoteRider cards: https://www.voteriders.org/cards/. Contact us if you are not a 501c3 and need cards for voter outreach.
- Consider Being A Poll Worker
- Important forms:
- Info. on new Voter ID requirements
- Election calendar: July 10 (last day to register); July 11 (early vote starts); August 8 (Election Day)
- The basics of state constitutional amendments, All Sides with Ann Fisher – WOSU, May 16, 2023
- Legal case submitted to the Ohio Supreme Court against August election: case number is 2023-0630: State of Ohio ex rel. One Person One Vote et. al v. Frank LaRose. Log into the Ohio Supreme Court Docket Search and request notifications.
- Message from Mike Curtin (great examples of opinion pieces)
Next month’s Huddle will be on June 14 at 6 pm. You will receive a registration link the week before! Look out for our email in your inbox.
Thank you for all you do and for staying in the fight for Fair Districts!