Register to Vote in NC
If you are an existing North Carolina DMV customer, you can register to vote online – Learn more
Before registering to vote, check your status here to see if you are already registered.
If you’re not registered to vote, here’s what to do:
1. Download a voter registration form here.
Voter registration forms are also available at local libraries, public high schools and college admissions offices. You can also register to vote at the DMV and certain other state agencies, such as DSS, WIC or ESC. Learn more.
2. Print the form.
3. Complete & sign the form.
When completing the form, you will be asked to provide a valid NC drivers license number or the last four digits of your Social Security number. If neither of these are available, you can attach a copy of a document with your name and current address, such as a bank statement, paycheck, utility bill or government document.
4. Mail or return the completed voter registration form to your county board of elections office.
Click here to find contact information for your county board of elections office. The completed voter registration form must be received by your county board of elections on or before the registration deadline. Or if mailed, it must be postmarked on or before the registration deadline.
Requirements to register to vote in North Carolina
You can register to vote in North Carolina if:
- you are a U.S. citizen;
- you have resided at your address for at least 30 days prior to the date of the election;
- you are at least 18 years old, or will be at the time of the next general election, or you are at least 16 years old and understand that you must be at least 18 years old on Election Day of the general election in order to vote;
- you are not serving a sentence for a felony conviction (including probation or on parole). If previously convicted of a felony, citizenship and voting rights are automatically restored upon completion of the sentence. No special document is needed.
Upon registering, you must rescind any previous registration in another county or state.