Updates on Public Hearings from the Ohio Redistricting Commission and More
On Monday evening, 8/16/2021, we held a Q & A with Catherine Turcer on Redistricting in Ohio. Below please find all the links and follow up information you need!
Click on the links to see the slides and listen to the recording.
Here is the schedule of Ohio Redistricting Commission hearings:
- Monday, August 23, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.: Cleveland
- Monday, August 23, 2:30 – 5:30 p.m.: Youngstown
- Tuesday, August 24, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.: Dayton
- Tuesday, August 24, 2:30 – 5:30 p.m.: Cincinnati
- Wednesday, August 25, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.: Zanesville
- Wednesday, August 25, 2:30 – 5:30 p.m.: Rio Grande
- Thursday, August 26, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.: Lima
- Thursday, August 26, 2:30 – 5:30 p.m.: Toledo
- Friday, August 27, 2:30 – 5:30 p.m.: Mansfield
- Friday, August 27, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.: Akron
Members of the Commission and contact information:
- Senate President Matt Huffman: 614-466-7584, email@example.com
- Speaker Bob Cupp: 614-466-9624, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator Vernon Sykes: 614-466-7041, email@example.com
- House Minority Leader Emilia Sykes: 614-466-3100, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Governor DeWine: 614-644-4357, 614-466-3555, Laurel.Dawson@governor.ohio.gov
- Secretary of State LaRose: 614.466.2585, FLaRose@ohiosos.gov
- Auditor Faber: 614-466-4514, email@example.com
More info you might need about testifying at the Commission hearings:
- We do not yet have information on how to submit written testimony to the commission, but we will alert you as soon as we hear.
- Click HERE for the information we have so far about hearing locations & parking. The info is incomplete for some venues — we will send more specific information as soon as it becomes available.
- You can watch the hearings online at the Ohio Channel, but attending in person will make a bigger impact! Please show up if you can.
- We will have Fair Districts buttons, signs, face masks, etc. at the hearings so you can show your support for fair maps!
- Let us know you plan to testify. Sign up HERE.
- Feel free to send your testimony us for review (to firstname.lastname@example.org). We’ll read it this week and send back with suggestions.
Some resources to help you get prepped to give testimony:
- Listen to the recording and check out the slides from the 8/3 training on how to prep for giving testimony.
- Read this sample testimony, submitted by Laura Rushton.
- LWVNYS Easy Testimony Form
- LWVNYS Storytelling Guide
- In-District Meeting with Your Legislator Toolkit
- Fair Districts Legislative Advocacy Website Page
What can citizens do to pressure for Fair Maps? How can I get involved?
- Sign a petition to official mapmakers telling them we demand fair maps and a fair map-making process.
- Send an email to your lawmakers and the members of the Redistricting Commission asking them to set up the submission portal for citizen-drawn maps.
- Write a letter to the editor about why mapmakers need to get to work today!
- Send postcards to mapmakers. Order two kinds of postcards here.
- Use the same order form to request a Fair Districts speaker/presentation or community mapmaking session.
- Find a yard sign at this map, or request via email: email@example.com
- Register to attend Fair Map Day, Tuesday, September 21, Ohio Statehouse. More info HERE. County map of Fair Maps Day registrations.
- Get involved with Community Mapping! Take a look at the Community Mapping Update and the Resource Page for everything you need to get started. Contact Trevor at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
What did we learn from the census data that was released last week?
- OH Population Density
- OH Population Density CHANGE
- OH Population shifts Metro areas
- Race and Ethnicity (table)
- Race and Ethnicity – white alone or in combination (map)
- Fair Districts All Volunteer Huddles, 6PM. Monthly meetings, second Weds: 9/8, 10/13, 11/10, 12/8
- Ohio Voted to End Gerrymandering — Let’s Get To Work! A series of Regional Forums designed to inform about Redistricting in Ohio in 2021
- 9/1 Northeast Ohio, Wednesday, 7pm. Rick Jackson/WCPN to moderate.
- 9/9 Central Ohio, Thursday, 7pm, Jo Ingles, Statehouse News to moderate.
- 9/13 Northwest Ohio, Monday, 7pm, Liz Skalka, Toledo Blade to moderate.
- 9/21 Cincinnati and Dayton Areas (Southwest Ohio), Tuesday, 7pm, Jesse Balmert, Cincinnati Enquirer to moderate.
- Find the info you need at our FairDistrictsOhio.org website.
Many thanks for being part of the fight for Fair Districts!
Mia Lewis for Common Cause Ohio and Fair Districts