Updates on Public Hearings from the Ohio Redistricting Commission and More
On Monday evening, 8/16/2021, we held a Q & A with Catherine Turcer on Redistricting in Ohio. Below please find all the links and follow up information you need!
Here is the schedule of Ohio Redistricting Commission hearings:
- Monday, August 23, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.: Cleveland
- Monday, August 23, 2:30 – 5:30 p.m.: Youngstown
- Tuesday, August 24, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.: Dayton
- Tuesday, August 24, 2:30 – 5:30 p.m.: Cincinnati
- Wednesday, August 25, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.: Zanesville
- Wednesday, August 25, 2:30 – 5:30 p.m.: Rio Grande
- Thursday, August 26, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.: Lima
- Thursday, August 26, 2:30 – 5:30 p.m.: Toledo
- Friday, August 27, 2:30 – 5:30 p.m.: Mansfield
- Friday, August 27, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.: Akron
Members of the Commission and contact information:
- Senate President Matt Huffman: 614-466-7584, email@example.com
- Speaker Bob Cupp: 614-466-9624, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator Vernon Sykes: 614-466-7041, email@example.com
- House Minority Leader Emilia Sykes: 614-466-3100, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Governor DeWine: 614-644-4357, 614-466-3555, Laurel.Dawson@governor.ohio.gov
- Secretary of State LaRose: 614.466.2585, FLaRose@ohiosos.gov
- Auditor Faber: 614-466-4514, email@example.com
More info you might need about testifying at the Commission hearings:
- We do not yet have information on how to submit written testimony to the commission, but we will alert you as soon as we hear.
- Click HERE for the information we have so far about hearing locations & parking. The info is incomplete for some venues — we will send more specific information as soon as it becomes available.
- You can watch the hearings online at the Ohio Channel, but attending in person will make a bigger impact! Please show up if you can.
- We will have Fair Districts buttons, signs, face masks, etc. at the hearings so you can show your support for fair maps!
- Let us know you plan to testify. Sign up HERE.
- Feel free to send your testimony us for review (to firstname.lastname@example.org). We’ll read it this week and send back with suggestions.
Some resources to help you get prepped to give testimony:
- Listen to the recording and check out the slides from the 8/3 training on how to prep for giving testimony.
- Read this sample testimony, submitted by Laura Rushton.
- LWVNYS Easy Testimony Form
- LWVNYS Storytelling Guide
- In-District Meeting with Your Legislator Toolkit
- Fair Districts Legislative Advocacy Website Page
What can citizens do to pressure for Fair Maps? How can I get involved?
- Sign a petition to official mapmakers telling them we demand fair maps and a fair map-making process.
- Send an email to your lawmakers and the members of the Redistricting Commission asking them to set up the submission portal for citizen-drawn maps.
- Write a letter to the editor about why mapmakers need to get to work today!
- Send postcards to mapmakers. Order two kinds of postcards here.
- Use the same order form to request a Fair Districts speaker/presentation or community mapmaking session.
- Find a yard sign at this map, or request via email: email@example.com
- Register to attend Fair Map Day, Tuesday, September 21, Ohio Statehouse. More info HERE. County map of Fair Maps Day registrations.
- Get involved with Community Mapping! Take a look at the Community Mapping Update and the Resource Page for everything you need to get started. Contact Trevor at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
What did we learn from the census data that was released last week?
- OH Population Density
- OH Population Density CHANGE
- OH Population shifts Metro areas
- Race and Ethnicity (table)
- Race and Ethnicity – white alone or in combination (map)
- Fair Districts All Volunteer Huddles, 6PM. Monthly meetings, second Weds: 9/8, 10/13, 11/10, 12/8
- Ohio Voted to End Gerrymandering — Let’s Get To Work! A series of Regional Forums designed to inform about Redistricting in Ohio in 2021
- 9/1 Northeast Ohio, Wednesday, 7pm. Rick Jackson/WCPN to moderate.
- 9/9 Central Ohio, Thursday, 7pm, Jo Ingles, Statehouse News to moderate.
- 9/13 Northwest Ohio, Monday, 7pm, Liz Skalka, Toledo Blade to moderate.
- 9/21 Cincinnati and Dayton Areas (Southwest Ohio), Tuesday, 7pm, Jesse Balmert, Cincinnati Enquirer to moderate.
- Find the info you need at our FairDistrictsOhio.org website.
Many thanks for being part of the fight for Fair Districts!
Mia Lewis for Common Cause Ohio and Fair Districts