Guarding against an Article V Constitutional Convention
The call for a federal constitutional convention is a dangerous threat to our democracy. While Common Cause Maryland obviously supports fighting big money in politics, we steadfastly oppose a constitutional convention.
Though we are committed to a constitutional amendment to reverse Citizens United, we believe a convention under Article V is the wrong approach. We oppose a constitutional convention because we believe there is too much legal ambiguity that leads to too great a risk that it could be hijacked by those pushing a radical agenda that poses a very real threat to American democracy.
Wealthy special interests are trying to game the system by pushing for an Article V convention that could undermine the will of We The People. Make no mistake, there are big donors and wealthy special interests, like the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), behind the push for an Article V constitutional convention.
A Constitutional Convention Cannot Be Limited Because:
- The U.S. Constitution does not lay out any guidelines or rules for a convention.
- There is no clear judicial, legislative, or executive body that would have authority over the convention.
- Given the lack of rules and authority, the convention would likely open to outside and special interests.
- The convention could create its own ratification process, rewriting the U.S. Constitution’s states process.
- During the 2017 session, the Maryland Legislature rescinded call for a dangerous Article V constitutional convention.
With this action, our state lawmakers recognized the threat of a runaway convention, which could result in major changes to the U.S. Constitution and its protections in a process currently bankrolled by special interests.
A nationwide push has these well-funded advocates fast approaching the number required to call for an Article V constitutional convention. The Maryland legislature has taken a key step away from this dangerous precipice, and to safeguard our constitutional liberties and civil rights by rescinding its call for an Article V convention!
Join Common Cause Maryland in our ongoing fight to protect the Constitution.