Common Cause Maryland is seeking Legislative Interns to assist with advocacy campaigns, grassroots engagement, research, policy development, communications, and member outreach during the 2019 legislative session. Individuals with keen interest in government affairs and the legislative process, a can-do attitude, and a commitment to a fair and transparent democracy are highly encouraged to apply.
- Assisting with grassroots lobbying efforts such as phone outreach to current and potential supporters and general petition gathering to raise awareness in support of our legislative priorities;
- Assist with drafting written testimony as well as providing oral testimony
- Mobilizing communities to hold politicians and corporations accountable;
- Researching campaign donations and transparency reforms, with the goal of releasing several reports over the late fall and winter;
- Assisting with policy development, social media, and other written outreach, particularly around money in politics and voting reforms;
- Organizing and promoting events, including policy forums and rallies;
- Meeting with elected officials, coalition partners, and community groups to discuss good government reforms and our long-term agenda.
QUALIFICATIONS: Must be passionate about good government issues. Must be self-motivated and able to work independently. Excellent writing, researching, and editing skills are required; must be familiar with Microsoft Word, Publisher, and Excel. Experience with Facebook and Twitter are helpful. Ability to work cooperatively with a diverse range of community partners. Good listening and communication skills.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Director of Human Resources at email@example.com and include LEGISLATIVE INTERN – MARYLAND in the subject line
This is an unpaid position; however, the position may qualify for college credit. Scheduling is flexible based on applicant’s schedule. A commitment of 10-20 hours per week is required. Must be able to come to the Annapolis office on a regular basis, but work may be done remotely. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.