We are devastated by the fires in Maui. Our hearts go out to our Ohana in Lahaina, especially the Kānaka Maoli population, as we collectively grieve this insurmountable loss.
While we wait for additional support from government agencies, we have begun working with our local Kamaʻāina community to get boots on the ground to provide as much support as possible.
Oahu residents, please join us in supporting Lahaina fire survivors by donating surplus essential goods to 91-220 Kalaeloa Blvd, Kapolei, HI 96707 this Friday, August 18th, and Saturday, August 19th, from 12 – 3pm.
The most essential items requested by the Lahaina fire survivors include:
- Undergarments – for children, teens, and adults
- Disposable diapers – for infants and adults
- Sanitary and cleansing wipes
- Menstrual products – pads and tampons
- Dental care – toothbrushes and toothpaste
- First aid kits
- Dry and wet food for dogs and cats
- Medications – particularly Tylenol, Advil, and stool softeners. More is welcome.
For our Common Cause friends on Maui, you can access shelters and resources at these designated locations:
- Maui High School – 660 Lono Ave, Kahului, HI 96732
- Oskie Rice Arena – Olinda Rd, Makawao, HI 96768
- King’s Cathedral Maui – 777 Maui Veterans Hwy, Kahului, HI 96732
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints – 1300 Maui Lani Pkwy, Kahului, HI 96732
- Mayor Hannibal Tavares Community Center – 91 Pukalani St, Makawao, HI 96768
- War Memorial Complex – 700 Halia Nakoa St, Wailuku, HI 96793
In the coming days, Common Cause Hawaii, in partnership with Common Cause members, Brown Girl Woke Hawaii, and Angel Flight West, will deliver donated essential goods to victims of the Lahaina fires via chartered jet. We’ll then team up with local Lahaina residents to distribute goods to designated shelters.
We will continue to do everything in our power to support relief efforts. We urge the federal government to provide assistance as we begin to pick up the pieces and learn the full extent of this unprecedented disaster.
Common Cause Hawaii is able to provide support thanks to our incredible members and community partners who have contributed thus far. We will continue to work in the community to support Maui residents as we slowly recover from this devastating tragedy.