Location: Remote, based in Florida
Start Date: Immediate
Reports to: Program Director Florida
This is a full-time role.
Essential Functions: The Outreach and Engagement Manager works in collaboration with the Florida Director and national staff in a multifaceted role. Primary functions include the development, management and implementation of Common Cause Florida’s digital organizing and community and member engagement strategies. This position offers a significant opportunity to expand the reach and influence of the organization.
- Collaborate with the Director to develop and execute strategies aimed at advancing a more inclusive, representative, open, and accountable democracy.
- Assist in the development and implementation of campaigns to advance and win reforms.
- Represent Common Cause Florida coalition meetings, speaking to community groups, and other forums for increasing grassroots activism.
Community and Member Engagement
- Develop and implement outreach to members, supporters and partners, to build their connection to Common Cause and provide the tools they need to take action and stand up for our democracy.
- Support implementation of the Florida Election Protection program for the 2024 cycle, including recruitment and training of volunteers.
- Represent Common Cause Florida in civic education and outreach activities.
- Conduct member and community events and meetings.
- Assist in developing materials (factsheets, blogs, emails, graphics, etc.) to inform and educate our members and the public.
- Stay abreast of legislative and organizational developments across constituencies (i.e., know what’s going on across the issues we care about and know which ones are most important to historically disenfranchised communities in Florida).
- Working with the Director, develop, implement, and manage the organization’s digital organizing, website and social media approach.
- Ensure that all social media channels remain responsive, collaborative, and engaging.
- Create original content for social media platforms (including original text, images, and video) that garners high engagement and represents the voice of Common Cause.
- Propose, draft, edit, and send high-quality emails to Common Cause Florida’s 45,000+ online supporters to engage members, raise money, and build grassroots power.
- Publish, edit, and update website pages and blog posts, ensuring the website content is accurate and up to date.
- Successfully execute live streaming events on social media (e.g., Facebook Live, Instagram, LinkedIn Live).
- Identify and engage in trending topics and social media moments relevant to our mission with the goal of reaching new audiences and being a part of the conversation.
- Identify high-impact opportunities to increase the visibility of Common Cause, our programs and campaigns, and our advocacy work.
- Create toolkits to make it easy for internal and external stakeholders to amplify content.
- Evaluate new media channels and establish a presence on any deemed worthy.
- Work with the national digital team to send action alerts, membership updates, and fundraising appeals to our members and supporters.
Education and Technical Skills
- Three to five years of relevant experience.
- Bachelor’s degree OR equivalent combination of education and experience. Preferably in public policy, journalism, marketing, or another related field.
- Hands-on knowledge using social media platforms in a professional setting and the ability to identify and deploy new platforms as needed.
- Experience working in or demonstrated ability to understand WordPress and other digital tools.
- Ability to design simple graphics (with Illustrator, Canva, Adobe Spark).
- Demonstrated ability for clear, concise, and persuasive writing.
- Demonstrated dedication to Common Cause’s mission of upholding the core values of democracy both nationally and in Florida.
- Strong organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, manage competing priorities, and work independently as part of a team.
- Flexible, detail-oriented, and able to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple competing priorities.
- Must maintain a high level of professionalism, honesty, and reliability.
- Experience working with many kinds of people and a working knowledge of the dynamics of power, privilege, and bias.
- Vision, creativity, enthusiasm, and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Able to work a flexible schedule with evening and some weekend availability.
- Ability to read, write and speak Spanish is strongly preferred, but not required.
- Familiarity with Florida state and local politics and government a plus.
Salary Range: $57,000-$64,000
Classification: This position is included in a union-represented collective bargaining unit and specific employment terms and conditions are subject to collective bargaining negotiations.
To Apply: Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and include Outreach & Engagement Manager (FL) in the subject line. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Covid-19 vaccines are required, except where prohibited by law. Reasonable accommodations will be provided when required by law.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants of any race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, income class, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status, as well as applicants who have been previously incarcerated.
About Common Cause
Common Cause (501(c)(4)) and Common Cause Education Fund (501(c)(3)) are nonpartisan, nonprofit grassroots affiliate organizations dedicated to upholding the core values of American democracy. We work to create open, honest, and accountable government that serves the public interest; promote equal rights, opportunity, and representation for all; and empower all people to make their voices heard in the political process.
Founded in 1970 and headquartered in Washington, DC, Common Cause has more than 1.5 million members (about the population of New Hampshire) and supporters living in every Congressional district in the United States, and offices in 30 states around the country.