ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Work with state operations team and each national department to support and supervise state executive directors and their staff in assigned states to advance the Common Cause mission at the national and state level.
State Operations Team Member:
- Advance Common Cause’s mission through supporting our state level work that includes policy, lobbying, education, budgeting, media, member relations, advisory board development and junior staff management.
- Direct support of assigned state chapters, including direct supervision of state executive directors. Work with state executive directors to identify strategic opportunities for growth; conduct annual campaign planning for policy and development; power map state legislative and key opinion leaders; develop strong coalitions and winning campaigns.
- Work with state operations team to develop and other national staff to advance shared resources in the states; enhance coordination with national departments to amplify our state work; and create systems for expansion into new states.
- Build and maintain strategic partnerships with national partners, elected officials, key stakeholders, and our funders.
- Evaluate assigned state executive directors and help them evaluate and manage their own staff as needed.
- Assist in interviewing and hiring new staff.
- Assist the organization in developing appropriate operating procedures that reflect the diversity of our state organizations.
- Help organize trainings and the staff retreat to build skills and organizational cohesion.
Fundraising and Budgeting:
- Raise money for state campaigns and programs through major donor and foundation efforts as needed.
- Support state fundraising strategies, including but not limited to foundations and major donors. Draft and edit proposals and report as needed, build relationships with program officers, and identify sources of funding in states, for multi-state proposals (regional).
- Support state staff’s fundraising efforts.
- Support states in budgeting and fiscal management.
Policy and Program Support:
- Work with states to develop strategic policy and education campaigns.
- Develop policies and research to help states advance the Common Cause agenda.
- Research new opportunities for Common Cause to advance our agenda.
- Conduct media appearances and interviews to highlight our state work.
- Develop expertise and engage in the policy campaigns of the organization, as needed.
- Represent Common Cause in coalitions, as needed.
- Commitment to Common Cause issues and agenda and commitment to advancing racial equity through our democracy agenda.
- Extensive knowledge of public interest campaigns, including ballot initiative campaigns, lobbying, grassroots organizing strategies, and advocacy techniques.
- Experience and willingness to fundraise.
- Minimum 10 years advocacy or political campaign experience.
- Minimum 5 years coordinating or supervising the work of others.
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural competency, including the ability to work effectively with those belonging to groups of diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, language, ability, age, and socioeconomic status.
- Experience running state-based campaigns.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with and build alliances among diverse communities and stakeholders, including but not limited to people of color, people of diverse political affiliations, business leaders, young people, and members of the faith community.
- Excellent oral, written, editing, and communication skills, including public speaking.
- Willingness to travel.
- Ability to handle a wide range of responsibilities.
EQUITY & INCLUSION: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Common Cause is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
SALARY RANGE: $100,000-$110,000; plus, a generous benefits package
TO APPLY: Please submit resume, cover letter and salary requirements to the Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org and include Director, State Operations in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Covid-19 vaccines are required, except were prohibited by law. Reasonable accommodations will be provided when required by law.
ABOUT COMMON CAUSE: Common Cause (501(c)(4)) and Common Cause Education Fund (501(c)(3)) are nonpartisan, nonprofit grassroots affiliate organizations dedicated to upholding the core values of American democracy. We work to create open, honest, and accountable government that serves the public interest; promote equal rights, opportunity, and representation for all; and empower all people to make their voices heard in the political process.
Founded in 1970 and headquartered in Washington, DC, Common Cause has more than 1.2 million members (about the population of New Hampshire) and supporters living in every Congressional district in the United States, and offices in 30 states around the country.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants of any race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, income class, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status, as well as applicants who have