LOCATION: This position is located in Washington, DC
SALARY RANGE: $50,000- $70,000
As the Social Media Manager, you will expand our robust social media presence to recruit and engage millions more to fight for a democracy that works for everyone. You will join a high-performing team of communicators, campaigners, and issue experts to develop and implement a creative and metrics-driven strategy for the Common Cause social media accounts, including promoting content for Common Cause’s Democracy Wire online blog, our organizational social media presence, and the social media presence of our network of 30 states with their own accounts. You will manage incoming direct communication from our volunteers and members via email and all social platforms. Common Cause will soon celebrate our 50th anniversary, and growing our social media presence to take full advantage of this opportunity is a key organizational priority.
- Manage Common Cause’s social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn.
- Develop strategies to increase our social media reach that aligns with our larger campaigning and communication goals, including through managing paid digital advertising campaigns on social media.
Assist with strategy and increase capacity of Common Cause’s state organizations’ independent social media accounts through training, best practices, and template content.
- Create sample social media content on Common Cause’s priority campaigns for both the organization’s accounts and staff’s personal accounts, which could include sample test posts, share graphics, and brief videos
- Work with the President of Common Cause to post to her personal accounts, with a consistent tone, voice, and content for the President’s account, and assist/advise other program, campaign, and state leaders with their personal social media strategies to market Common Cause’s expertise online.
- Develop and manage a system for timely responses to the members and activists who contact us via email and social media, including collaborating with other staff, managing remote volunteers and/or responding yourself.
- Identify and report on top-performing content and overall performance (including email acquisition and fundraising), integrating this tracking with our existing systems to provide data-driven insights and reports.
- Build and maintain relationships with the social media practitioners at allied organizations; and play an active role in coordinating coalition-wide collaborative efforts.
- Plan weeknight, weekend, and holiday social media publishing/scheduling and on-call coverage with our Communications, Digital and Campaigns teams.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Broad experience in managing social media, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Experience running livestreams a plus.
- 3+ years of substantive digital & social media experience in an organization, campaign, volunteer, or campus setting.
- Experience working with different kinds of people, communicating to a diverse set of audiences, and a working knowledge of the dynamics of power, privilege, and bias.
- Experience with developing and reporting on performance metrics and knowledge of social media listening, social media management, and analytics tools.
- Experience developing and implementing online content for non-profit advocacy organizations or national and local organizing campaigns, including working in a campaign style environment with rapid-fire deadlines and responses.
- Ability to handle multiple “priority” projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines, working both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent communications (written & verbal), including the Ability to take complex topics and make them accessible to a mass audience.
- Ability to work within established brand and style guidelines, and work with campaign leaders to produce on-message content, including a focus on design and ability to use or learn software like Photoshop or Illustrator, meme & gif generators, and/or apps like Canva.
- Highly organized, detailed-oriented, and communicative.
- Proven record of accomplishment of meeting deadlines and deliverables.
- A passion for democracy and social justice, and desire to translate that into powerful content that advance our campaigns, showcase our work, and engage our audiences.
The Social Media Manager will work in a team environment with the Communications and Digital team.
Please note this job descriptions is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, activities or responsibilities may change at anytime with or without notice.
EQUITY & INCLUSION:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Common Cause is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
Please submit resume, cover letter and salary requirements (optional) to Director of Human Resources at email@example.com and include in the subject line Social Media Manager; or fax to 202.355.7546. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to apply ASAP.