LOCATION: This position is located in the San Francisco Bay Area
SALARY RANGE: $60,000-70,000
California Common Cause is a nonpartisan nonprofit organization fighting for a California democracy that includes everyone. We work toward state and local governments that are responsive to and reflective of the communities they are meant to serve. We seek a Program Manager who will lead California Common Cause’s work on key program priorities in the San Francisco Bay Area, with a focus on money in politics reform efforts in Oakland, in San Jose, and elsewhere in the Bay.
The Program Manager will lead/anchor local coalitions working toward money-in-politics reform, and will make the case – to partners, the public, and decision-makers – that building an inclusive and equitable democracy requires creating campaign finance systems that lift up the voices of communities of color and low-income communities. The Program Manager’s work will include learning/using campaign finance policy and law, doing policy development and advocacy, educating and motivating local partners that have rarely worked on campaign finance issues, working with diverse stakeholders, and building/managing complex coalition environments. They will also contribute to California Common Cause’s work on other critical democracy reform issues, like voting rights and redistricting.
This position will report to Executive Director Jonathan Mehta Stein, who is also based in the Bay Area.
Executes key programs & strategies aimed at advancing a more inclusive, equitable, representative, open, and accountable democracy.
- Campaigns – Shape and execute multi-year campaigns to move policy through city councils or via ballot initiatives.
- Coalition Building – Build and engage coalitions around priority campaigns. Represent the organization in coalition spaces. Manage coalition dynamics.
- Research & Policy – Conduct policy research, work with experts and stakeholders to do policy development. Do advocacy to local decision-makers.
- Grassroots Engagement – Bring community members to the cause and engage them in organization’s money-in-politics efforts, both online and in person. Channel Common Cause membership and broader public engagement to have effective impact.
- Member Engagement – Build awareness of and support for California Common Cause and engage our members in priority campaigns.
This is a full-time 40-hour per week role. The person filling the role must have flexibility to work some nights and weekends.
The person filling the role will be fully remote and must be able to travel to meetings around the Bay Area. Car preferred but not required.
Funding for this position is guaranteed for 18 months, though we are actively seeking additional funding to continue the position indefinitely into the future.
- At least four years of experience in community organizing, political campaigns, and/or issue advocacy.
- Ability to build and cultivate relationships with people and organizations of various orientations and diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to guide and lead coalitions, including leading group meetings.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and the ability to motivate people to act.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail. Capable of juggling and remaining on track with multiple priorities and projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently and guide projects in a remote environment.
- Positive attitude and passion for changing the world for the better.
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural competency, including the ability to work effectively with those belonging to groups of diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, language, ability, age and socioeconomic status.
- Flexibility to work occasional nights and weekends and travel to community meetings around the Bay Area (travel costs compensated).
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, activities or responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
EQUITY & INCLUSION:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Common Cause is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
Please submit resume, cover letter and salary requirements (optional) to Director of Human Resources at email@example.com and include Program Manager, California Common Cause in the subject line; or fax to 202.355.7546. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to apply ASAP.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants of any race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, income class, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or marital status, as well as applicants who have been previously incarcerated