The Program Advocate will support the implementation of key policy campaigns, with emphasis in election administration, census, campaign finance, redistricting and voter protection. The Advocate will work with the state executive director to develop and implement policy campaigns, manage coalitions, and educate and engage Common Cause members, allies and other activists in our campaigns.
- Coalitions and Coalition building: maintain and build the coalition, including sending regular updates to coalition leadership members, hosting meetings and calls, and addressing the needs of coalition members.
- Grassroots outreach: develop and implement a grassroots strategy utilizing social media, communications with Common Cause Pennsylvania members, and targeted grassroots engagement with new audiences. Develop a strong online presence through both the Common Cause website and coalition webpages where applicable.
- Press coverage: build relationships with reporters on issues. Work with Executive Director to implement the press strategy including drafting releases, coordinating events, and responding to media inquiries.
- Advocacy: monitor and analyze legislation in core areas of government reform in PA. Generate position papers, research, testimony, and press releases in support of Common Cause’s legislative agenda; serve as spokesperson, when requested by the Executive Director, with the media and represent Common Cause at public events.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with two years relevant experience in a political campaign, government, or non-profit.
- 2-4 years’ experience in similar position in a non-profit/political campaign
- Experience with online advocacy and social media campaigning.
- Ability to build and cultivate relationships with people and organizations of various orientations and diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated experience in working effectively with those belonging to groups of diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, language, ability, age and socioeconomic status.
- Demonstrated experience in clear, concise, and persuasive writing.
- Flexible, detail-oriented and able to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with multiple competing priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and public speaking skills and the ability to motivate people to act.
- Results-oriented, dependable, and proactive.
- Ability to work independently, initiate projects, and work with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to travel and flexibility to occasionally work evenings and weekends.
EQUITY & INCLUSION:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Common Cause is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
$48,000—$55,000, plus a generous benefits package
Please submit resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Director of Human Resources at email@example.com and include PROGRAM ADVOCATE – PA in the subject line; or fax to 202.355.7546. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.