The Policy Manager works in collaboration with the Executive Director in a multifaceted role. Primary functions include development and implementation of policy campaigns, research and communications, coalition management, outreach, and direct lobbying. Position offers significant opportunity to expand the reach and influence of the organization.
- Research and policy development: develop a research agenda, perform research and produce reports, policy and position papers to support the policy campaigns. Work with the Executive Director to review and draft legislation and amendments as needed.
- Coalition building: maintain and build the coalition, including sending regular updates to coalition leadership members, hosting meetings and calls, and address the needs of coalition members.
- Outreach: develop and implement a grassroots strategy utilizing social media, communication with Common Cause Maryland members, and targeted grassroots engagement with new audiences. Develop a strong online presence through both the Common Cause website and coalition webpages where applicable.
- Press coverage: build relationships with reporters on this issue. Implement the press strategy including drafting releases, coordinating events, and responding to media inquiries.
- Advocacy: monitor and analyze legislation in core areas of government reform in Maryland. Work with Executive Director in elected official outreach and lobbying.
- Identify research for projects which can be performed or supplemented by volunteers and interns and supervise those research tasks.
- Assist with on-going work of the office as needed.
Experience, education and technical proficiency:
- A qualified applicant should have 2-4 years’ experience in policy or electoral campaigns and a demonstrated ability to engage citizens at the grassroots level, speak and write compellingly about policy issues, and implement a campaign plan.
Ideally you have:
- Demonstrated commitment to Common Cause’s mission of an open, accountable, and ethical government for Maryland.
- Familiarity with the legislative process in Maryland.
- Candidates should have demonstrated commitment to cultural competency, including the experience in working effectively with those belonging to groups of diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, language, ability, age and socioeconomic status.
- Have superior organizational skills and be able to execute multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Willingness to travel and flexibility to occasionally work evenings and weekends.
You’ll thrive if you are/have:
- Applicants must be a self-starter with an ability to work independently in a deadline-driven environment with competing priorities.
- As this position involves significant contact with members, key stakeholders, and volunteers, the applicant must be affable, people-oriented, and have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- An ability to write clearly and mastery of office technology, including social media, is a must.
EQUITY AND INCLUSION
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Common Cause is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
$48,000—$55,000, plus a generous benefits package
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org and include POLICY MANAGER – MD in the subject line; or fax to 202.355.7546. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.