ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The Policy & Engagement Manager for Common Cause Maryland will work with the Executive Director on all Common Cause Maryland policy issues, and will implement outreach plans for key policy campaigns, especially around money in politics and voting rights, and handle general outreach for the organization.
- Coalition Building: Engage local, state, and national organizations on democracy campaigns in Maryland. Create and manage coalitions as necessary to bring partners on board with core campaigns. Keep coalitions informed of outreach activities. Attend meetings, lead discussions, provide materials, and follow up as needed.
- Research and Policy Development: develop a research agenda, perform research and produce reports, policy and position papers to support the policy campaigns. Work with the Executive Director to review and draft legislation and amendments as needed. Identify research for projects which can be performed or supplemented by volunteers and interns and supervise those research tasks.
- Advocacy: Work with the Executive Director on core campaigns – managing policy priorities, lobbying local and state governmental bodies and creating materials for public outreach on policies.
- Outreach & Engagement: develop and implement a grassroots strategy in support of democracy campaigns utilizing social media, communication through emails and blogs, and direct outreach to CCMD members and the public through events and more.
- Press: build relationships and assist in implementing press strategy including drafting releases and op-eds, coordinating press events, and responding to media inquiries.
- Youth programs: Serve as lead on student programs, including providing support to the MD HBCU Student Action Alliance and overseeing recruitment and management of state interns.
In addition to the above, will assist with fundraising and organizational administrative tasks as required.
- 2-5 years’ experience in policy or electoral campaigns. Demonstrated ability to engage the grassroots, speak and write compellingly about policy issues, and implement a campaign plan.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with and build alliances among diverse communities and stakeholders, including but not limited to people of color, people of diverse political affiliations, business leaders, young people, and members of the faith community.
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural competency, including the ability to work effectively with those belonging to groups of diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, language, ability, age and socioeconomic status.
- Commitment to advancing racial equity through our democracy agenda.
- Familiarity with the legislative process; ideally, familiarity with the Maryland legislature and political landscape.
- Commitment to the public interest and Common Cause’s mission.
- Excellent speaking, writing, presentation, and critical analysis skills.
- Working knowledge and proficiency with social media tools including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram; proficient with Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrated leadership and organizing ability. Strong interpersonal skills.
- Comfortable speaking to and engaging diverse audiences throughout the state. This position will require travel when COVID 19 restrictions are lifted.
- Ability to work independently in a deadline-driven environment with competing priorities. Flexible, good sense of humor, self-starter and multi-tasker.
SALARY: $55,000.00 – $60,000.00 annually
TO APPLY: Please submit resume and cover letter to Director of Human Resources at email@example.com and include “Maryland Policy & Engagement Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls please!
Equity and inclusion:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants of any race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, income class, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or marital status, as well as applicants who have been previously incarcerated. We are committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, activities or responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.