The Policy and Outreach Manager works in collaboration with the Executive Director and the Organizer in a multifaceted role. Primary functions include the management of day-to-day operations, management, and execution of key program areas. This position is a leadership role that offers a significant opportunity to expand the reach and influence of the organization.
- Program Leadership. The Policy and Outreach Manager will collaborate with the Executive Director to execute key programs and strategies aimed at advancing a more inclusive, representative, open, and accountable democracy. This includes working with the Executive Director to build, engage and lead coalitions and assisting in the development and implementation of strategies and campaigns to advance and win reforms. The Policy and Outreach Manager will be responsible for overseeing and managing programmatic activities, including the Common Cause Illinois Election Protection program. The Policy and Outreach Manager will be expected to make occasional media appearances and lobbyist visits, and otherwise assist the Executive Director in serving as a spokesperson for the organization in communities across the state.
- Grassroots/Grasstops Organizing. The Policy and Outreach Manager works with Common Cause staff and partner organizations to develop and execute a strategy for driving online and offline organizing around Common Cause Illinois’ issues. This includes managing Common Cause Illinois’ digital and web outreach and working with the national digital team to send action alerts, membership updates, and fundraising appeals to our 30,000+ online supporters. The Policy and Outreach Manager will also work with the Organizer to assist in the development of an organizing plan, representing Common Cause Illinois during coalition meetings, speaking to community groups, and increasing grassroots activism.
- Fundraising. The Policy and Outreach Manager works with the Executive Director and Common Cause development staff to ensure the long-term viability of organization. This includes assisting the Executive Director in securing private grants; keeping local fundraising data organized; identifying and cultivating donors and prospects; coordinating donation receipt and acknowledgement; organizing fundraising events and working with the Organizer to manage volunteers to fulfill these functions. He/She/They will also design and produce periodic fundraising appeals and regularly provide progress reports to the Common Cause Illinois Advisory Board.
- Communications. The Policy and Outreach Manager assists Common Cause staff in maintaining the website and writing action alerts, printed newsletters, solicitations, and acknowledgements. The Policy and Outreach Manager will write op-eds, blog posts, press releases and advisories, and track media coverage of the organization. Additionally, the Policy and Outreach Manager will work with the Organizer and other Common Cause staff to administer and maintain the Common Cause Illinois social media accounts, ensuring that the content is updated regularly and in accordance with the Common Cause brand and advocacy goals.
- Administration/Technology. The Policy and Outreach Manager is responsible for coordinating office operations and maintaining small office systems.
Experience, education, and technical proficiency:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Demonstrated three to five years political, advocacy, policy, or government experience.
- Experience fundraising for comparable organizations.
- Working knowledge of social media tools, including Facebook and Twitter.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience working with many kinds of people and a working knowledge of the dynamics of power, privilege, and bias.
- Experience with community and political advocacy and organizing.
- Familiarity with Illinois state and local politics and government.
- Demonstrated dedication to Common Cause’s mission of upholding the core values of democracy both nationally and in Illinois.
You’ll thrive if you have/are:
- Superior organizational skills, including the ability to execute several tasks simultaneously.
- Flexible, detail-oriented, and able to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with multiple competing priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and public speaking skills and the ability to motivate people to act.
- Ability to work independently, initiate projects, and work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability for clear, concise, and persuasive writing.
- Creativity, curiosity, flexibility, and a good sense of humor.
- Must be willing to travel in-state regularly, including some nights and weekends.
EQUITY & INCLUSION:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Common Cause is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
SALARY RANGE: $58k- $67k; plus, a generous benefits package
To Apply: Please submit resume, cover letter and salary requirements (optional) to Director of Human Resources at email@example.com and include Policy and Outreach Manager (IL) in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Covid-19 vaccines are required, except were prohibited by law. Reasonable accommodations will be provided when required by law. This position is included in a union-represented collective bargaining unit, and specific employment terms and conditions are subject to collective bargaining negotiations
ABOUT COMMON CAUSE: Common Cause (501(c)(4)) and Common Cause Education Fund (501(c)(3)) are nonpartisan, nonprofit grassroots affiliate organizations dedicated to upholding the core values of American democracy. We work to create open, honest, and accountable government that serves the public interest; promote equal rights, opportunity, and representation for all; and empower all people to make their voices heard in the political process.
Founded in 1970 and headquartered in Washington, DC, Common Cause has more than 1.2 million members (about the population of New Hampshire) and supporters living in every Congressional district in the United States, and offices in 30 states around the country.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants of any race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, income class, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status, as well as applicants who have been previously incarcerated.