Location: Sacramento, California
Salary: $75,000 – $85,000
- Lobby, organize, and cultivate long-lasting relationships with elected officials and key stakeholders including Common Cause members.
- Represent Common Cause positions to elected officials and at stakeholder groups and public hearings.
- Conduct independent assessments, research, and exercise judgment to determine relevant issues related to the interests of Common Cause.
- Provide results of research and analysis of proposed legislation to the executive director, staff, and advisory board.
- Work closely with the California board and National Governing Board and the policy committees of each.
- Serve as liaison to plaintiff tables in ongoing lawsuits where Common Cause is a plaintiff while maintaining confidentiality (legal degree helpful, but not required).
- Collaborate with the Director of Programs and Strategy and the Executive Director on all policy, program, and fundraising matters as a member of the management team. Help drive a strategic, visionary agenda for the next phase of California Common Cause.
- Proactively monitor municipal, county, and state agendas.
- Develop position statements based upon the public policy agenda of Common Cause and present to the executive director for further discussion with the policy committee and staff for final consideration.
- Research and evaluate what other organizations are doing when considering a proactive approach on an issue.
- Coordinate committee and coalition activities such as meetings, facilitation, agendas, minutes for policy work.
- Supervise policy staff.
Experience, Education and Proficiency
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent. Preferred: J.D. or Master’s Degree.
- Computer Skills: Microsoft Office Suite, Excel, experience using a eCRM such as ROI, Nation Builder, Action Network, etc. Ability to learn our specialized, web-based, CRM and eCRM.
EQUITY & INCLUSION:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Common Cause is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
Please submit resume, cover letter and salary requirements(optional) to Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org and include POLICY AND LEGISLATIVE AFFAIRS DIRECTOR CA in the subject line; or fax to 202.355.7546. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Common Cause (501(c)(4)) and Common Cause Education Fund (501(c)(3)) are nonpartisan, nonprofit grassroots affiliate organizations dedicated to upholding the core values of American democracy. We work to create open, honest, and accountable government that serves the public interest; promote equal rights, opportunity, and representation for all; and empower all people to make their voices heard in the political process.
Founded in 1970 and headquartered in Washington, DC, Common Cause has more than 1.2 million members and supporters living in every Congressional district in the United States, and offices in 30 states around the country. More information can be found at: www.commoncause.org and www.commoncause.org/ca/.