LOCATION: Chicago, IL
The Outreach Coordinator is responsible for executing all aspects of Common Cause’s outreach efforts, both online and in-person, in Illinois. That includes engaging community partners and our membership to educate, and encourage participation in, Census 2020, particularly among hard-to-count populations, as well as developing a successful program to assist voters and report problems during the 2020 election. The Outreach Coordinator will be supervised by the Executive Director and will support their work planning get out the count efforts. Along with the Executive Director the applicant will also be responsible for office organization and maintenance including member and communications databases.
- Develop and lead nonpartisan census education and outreach activities in targeted communities
- Lead nonpartisan voter education, engagement and election protection activities through the November 2020 election
- Recruit and train volunteers to serve as non-partisan volunteer poll monitors, assisting voters and reporting problems at polling places.
- Work with Common Cause Illinois’s Advisory Board and staff to plan and conduct member events and meetings
- Build and nurture relationships with community partners
- Fully utilize social media to promote activities
- Recruit and supervise Common Cause student interns
- Perform other duties, including administrative functions, as they are assigned
Experience, education and technical proficiency:
- At least 2 years of experience in organizing, advocacy, project management, or similar fields
- Working knowledge of social media tools, Facebook and Twitter
Ideal candidate will have/are:
- Experience working with many kinds of people and a working knowledge of the dynamics of power, privilege, and bias
- Experience with community and political advocacy and organizing
- Demonstrated dedication to Common Cause’s mission of upholding the core values of democracy both nationally and in Illinois
You’ll thrive if you have/are:
- Superior organizational skills including the ability to execute several tasks simultaneously
- Flexible, detail-oriented and able to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with multiple competing priorities
- Excellent interpersonal communication and public speaking skills and the ability to motivate people to act
- Ability to work independently, initiate projects, and work with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Must be willing to travel in-state regularly, including some nights and weekends
EQUITY & INCLUSION:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Common Cause is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
Please submit resume, cover letter and salary requirements(optional) to Director of Human Resources at email@example.com and include OUTREACH COORDINATOR – CHICAGO in the subject line; or fax to 202.355.7546. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered
Common Cause (501(c)(4)) and Common Cause Education Fund (501(c)(3)) are nonpartisan, nonprofit grassroots affiliate organizations dedicated to upholding the core values of American democracy. We work to create open, honest, and accountable government that serves the public interest; promote equal rights, opportunity, and representation for all; and empower all people to make their voices heard in the political process.
Founded in 1970 and headquartered in Washington, DC, Common Cause has more than 1.2 million members and supporters living in every Congressional district in the United States, and offices in 30 states around the country. More information can be found at: www.commoncause.org and www.commoncause.org/illinois/.