- Manages the reception area to ensure effective telephone communications both internally and externally to maintain a professional image.
- Coordinates the maintenance and alteration of office areas and equipment, as well as layout, arrangement and the upkeep of office facilities.
- Negotiates the purchase of office supplies and furniture, office equipment, etc. for the entire staff in accordance within organization purchasing policies and budgetary restrictions and in coordination with the CFO.
- Supervises the maintenance of office equipment, including copier, fax machine, etc.
- Responsible for the facilities day-to-day operations (liaison with the building management, distributing building access keys, developing emergency evacuation plans, etc.)
- Provides historical reference by defining procedures for retention, retrieval, transfer, and disposal of records.
- Maintains office calendar and manages conference room usage.
- Responsible for arranging for office meetings and conferences as requested.
- Ensure that conference rooms are neat and ready for use when needed.
- Maintain a vendor file of caterers, printers, and facilities for meetings. Interface with vendors as needed.
- Serves as liaison with sub-tenants and provide assistance as needed.
- Assists the volunteer coordinator, works with program staff who engage, train, and encourage volunteers.
- Plans annual volunteer appreciate event in coordination with volunteer coordinator.
- Provides administrative support to the Chief Financial Officer and the financial staff as needed and performs other clerical duties that may be required for effective office operations.
- Prepares Concur expense reports for the use of the office American Express card in the name of the CFO.
- Provides administrative support to members of the management team as time allows.
- Participates in special projects as needed.
- 2 years of non-profit experience is highly desirable
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Well organized, highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite,
- Strong ability to multi-task, maintain a professional atmosphere
- Possess strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with coordinating logistics and projects for conferences and other meetings.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and perform a variety of tasks;
- Working knowledge of mail processes such as postage machine, Federal Express and UPS.
- Experience with Concur Expenses is a plus
- Pleasant phone manner and enjoy working with people.
- Good planning and organizational skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to negotiate effectively.
- Experience with database and spreadsheet programs.
- Working knowledge of social media tools: Twitter, Facebook.
- Interest in general administrative operations of an office.
- Ability to lift and move office supplies and furniture.
- Commitment to Common Cause objectives.
Generally, the hours will be 9:00 A.M. – 5:30 P.M. There may be circumstances that will require an earlier start time and later departure time due to an office event.
Please submit resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Director of Human Resources at email@example.com and include Receptionist/Office Coordinator in the subject line; or fax to 202.355.7546. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to respond as soon as possible. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Common Cause strongly encourages those from historically under-served, underrepresented or marginalized communities to apply.
About Common Cause:
Common Cause is a nonpartisan, grassroots organization dedicated to upholding the core values of American democracy. We work to create an open, honest, and accountable government that serves the public interest; promotes equal rights, opportunity, and representation for all; and empowers all people to make their voices heard in the political process.
Founded almost 50 years ago, Common Cause has more than 1.2 million members and 30 state organizations that are working to support our efforts across the country. More information can be found at www.commoncause.org.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, party or political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any illegal or prohibited factor.