OBJECTIVE: We seek a Program Manager who will lead California Common Cause’s new Media & Democracy Program. This position can be located anywhere in California.
Local and ethnic news publications are on a steep decline in California and across the nation. When a local newspaper dies, a local democracy weakens – civic engagement and voter turnout go down, uninformed voting goes up, polarization increases, and accountability for powerful business and political interest evaporates. For the sake of our democracy, something must change.
We intend to build what we believe to be California’s only project to (1) raise the visibility of these issues with key stakeholders and decision-makers, (2) identify and eventually pass state-level policy solutions that will help build a thriving local and ethnic media sector in our state, and (3) examine the role social media platforms have with respect to our democratic discourse and find solutions that can mitigate negative impacts. Our Media & Democracy Program will be led by a new Media & Democracy Program Manager, someone who hopefully has experience with public policy, with journalism/media, and with convening and building coalitions to drive change.
This position will report to Executive Director Jonathan Mehta Stein, who is also based in the Bay Area. The position can be located anywhere in California.
As stated above, the Media & Democracy Program Manager will lead California Common Cause’s new Media & Democracy Program. This will include:
- Coalitions & Collaboration: Leading and expanding California’s only working group focused on investigating and evaluating policy solutions from around the county and world that have the potential to create a healthy and resilient local and ethnic media sector in California.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Expanding the number of decision-makers and opinion-leaders in California (in politics, philanthropy, and elsewhere) who recognize the decimation of California’s local and ethnic media as a critical problem for our democracy and are willing to champion solutions, through high-level networking and advocacy.
- Research & Policy: Identifying, researching, and building consensus around state-level policy solutions that can create a healthy and resilient local and ethnic media sector in California. This work will include the creation of policy briefs and presentations. Work can be completed in coordination with CA Common Cause’s Legal & Policy Director.
- Convening & Events: Plan and execute events (panels, conferences, etc.) that tell the story of California’s declining local and ethnic news sectors, with an intended attendance of California’s thought-leaders and decision-makers.
- Experience in or deep familiarity with news/media/journalism/publishing, as a reporter/journalist, on the business side, or in some other capacity.
- Experience in media policy and/or the economics of the media sector preferred but not required.
- Experience with public policy analysis, development, and/or advocacy.
- Experience with project design, development, and management.
- Ability to build and cultivate relationships with people and organizations of various orientations and diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to guide and lead coalitions, including leading group meetings.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and the ability to motivate people to act.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail. Capable of juggling and remaining on track with multiple priorities and projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently and guide projects in a remote environment.
- Positive attitude and passion for changing the world for the better.
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural competency, including the ability to work effectively with those belonging to groups of diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, language, ability, age and socioeconomic status.
SALARY RANGE: $70,000-$90,000; commensurate.
This is a full-time role. The person filling the role must have flexibility to work some nights and weekends.
Funding for this position is guaranteed for two years, though we are actively seeking additional funding to continue the position indefinitely into the future.
HOW TO APPLY: Send resume, cover letter and 3 references to the Director of Human Resources at email@example.com. Include “CA Media & Democracy Program Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
ABOUT US: Common Cause (501(c)(4)) and Common Cause Education Fund (501(c)(3)) are nonpartisan, nonprofit grassroots affiliate organizations dedicated to upholding the core values of American democracy. We work to create open, honest, and accountable government that serves the public interest; promote equal rights, opportunity, and representation for all; and empower all people to make their voices heard in the political process. Founded in 1970 and headquartered in Washington, DC, Common Cause has more than 1.2 million members and supporters living in every Congressional district in the United States, and offices in 30 states around the country.
Equity and inclusion:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants of any race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, income class, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or marital status, as well as applicants who have been previously incarcerated. We are committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, activities or responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.