LOCATION: This position can be located anywhere in California. Occasional travel to Sacramento may be required.
SALARY RANGE: $70,000-85,000, commensurate with experience
California Common Cause is a nonpartisan nonprofit organization fighting for a California democracy that includes everyone. We work on voting rights, redistricting, money in politics, and media & democracy issues to build state and local governments that are responsive to and reflective of the communities they are meant to serve.
California Common Cause seeks a Legal and Policy Director who will lead the development of a multi-year policy agenda for the organization, together with the Executive Director, the Legislative Director, other California Common Cause staff, and the California Common Cause board. They will lead coordination of all of California Common Cause’s legal and policy projects and campaigns, and provide legal and policy support to all California Common Cause staff around the state. The Legal and Policy Director will need expertise on the full policy lifecycle, including policy research and analysis, policy development, legislative drafting, and policy implementation, with some additional skills around coalition-building and management, stakeholder engagement, and legislative advocacy.
This position will report to the California Common Cause Executive Director. The Legal and Policy Director will, like all staff at California Common Cause, approach their work through an equity lens while also being conscious of California Common Cause’s historic nonpartisan identity.
Build and advance a policy agenda aimed at building a more inclusive, accessible, equitable, representative, honest, accountable, and trustworthy democracy in California.
- Policy Vision – The Legal and Policy Director will be an innovative policy thinker who can help set a vision for the democracy reform field in California.
- Expertise – The Legal and Policy Director will bring a deep well of detailed knowledge about legal and policy issues pertaining to California’s democracy.
- Research and Policy Development – The Legal and Policy Director will complete research on the state of California’s democracy, to determine areas of improvement, and complete research on policy ideas attempted elsewhere to determine their suitability for California. The Legal and Policy Director will sometimes author reports to further California Common Cause policy priorities.
- Legislation – The Legal and Policy Director will, together with other California Common Cause staff, develop ideas for legislation and draft legislation and legislative amendments.
- Writing – The Legal and Policy Director will author op-eds, legislative factsheets, research reports, and memos to the California Common Cause advisory board.
- Collaboration – The Legal and Policy Director will provide support to all California Common Cause working on policy and legal projects.
This is a full-time role. This position can be located anywhere in California, though some travel – particularly to Sacramento – is likely.
- The ability to think flexibly, creatively, and innovatively about the future of California’s democracy and the changes that can make improve it.
- 5-10 years of experience working on legal and policy issues pertaining to California’s democracy, including strong skills with policy research, policy analysis, and legislative drafting.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Excellent research skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate complex legal and policy topics in succinct and easy-to-understand ways.
- Professionalism, composure, advocacy skills, and speaking skills necessary to represent California Common Cause in meetings with the California Secretary of State, legislative leadership, the Fair Political Practices Commission, and other critical stakeholders.
- Ability to remain on track with multiple priorities and projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently and guide projects in a remote environment.
- Positive attitude and passion for changing the world for the better.
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural competency, including the ability to work effectively with people of all backgrounds.
- Flexibility to work occasional nights and weekends.
- JD preferred, but not required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, activities or responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
EQUITY & INCLUSION:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Common Cause is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
Please submit resume, cover letter, and three references to Director of Human Resources at email@example.com and include “Legal and Policy Director, California Common Cause” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to apply ASAP.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants of any race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, income class, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or marital status, as well as applicants who have been previously incarcerated.