LOCATION: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
SALARY RANGE: $70,000—$80,000, plus a generous benefits package.
OBJECTIVE/SUMMARY: The Executive Director will lead efforts in all areas of Common Cause Pennsylvania. These areas include fundraising, grassroots organizing, diverse coalition building, research, policy analysis, communications, advocacy, litigation, and any other activities that promote the Common Cause agenda at the state and national level. The Executive Director will also collaborate with and engage the advisory board in advancing the state organization, and fostering a strong, sustainable organization in Pennsylvania. Will be working under the Director of State Operations at Common Cause.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the operations of Common Cause Pennsylvania, including budgeting, fundraising, and supervising and developing staff, contractors, volunteers and interns.
- Work with, develop, and engage a strong state advisory board of directors to develop goals and strategies for achieving mission and organizational goals. Engage and utilize the advisory board in advancing fund-raising objectives.
- Collaborate with staff in Washington DC, the region, and in other states.
- Develop effective, winnable policy reforms at all levels of government and advocate for their passage and implementation.
- Build and participate in effective and diverse political and civic coalitions, including developing an understanding of and respect for existing coalitions in the state.
- Develop and execute bipartisan lobbying strategies to advance reform and hold federal, state and local elected officials and other decision-makers accountable.
- Produce timely, high quality policy research.
- Develop and implement grassroots organizing strategies with Common Cause members to build support for the Common Cause agenda.
- Serve as Common Cause Pennsylvania’s spokesperson in responding to inquiries from media, government officials, and others.
- Maintain communication with members and the public statewide through social media, website updates, and periodic emailed or written communication.
- Encourage members to participate in lobbying and other advocacy activities.
- Raise money from foundations, major donors, members, and special events, and devise other fundraising strategies to fund Common Cause programs, including lobbying efforts.
- Set, in partnership with the board and national staff, fundraising goals for the Pennsylvania organization.
- Coordinate state membership activities with current members as well as expand membership in the state by engaging new members from diverse constituencies with the organization.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with five years relevant experience in a political campaign, government, or non-profit organization.
- Organizational leadership experience. 5 or more years management experience, including nonprofit organizations and political campaigns, preferred
- Strong fundraising skills and experience, with a willingness to learn more about and cultivate Common Cause’s network of major donors in Pennsylvania.
- Demonstrated experience working with traditional and new media.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of desktop publishing, volunteer management, database management, and financial management
- Working knowledge of web content management systems and social media tools including Facebook and Twitter.
- Demonstrated leadership and organizing ability.
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural competency, including the ability to work effectively with those belonging to groups of diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, language, ability, age and socioeconomic status.
- Commitment to advancing racial equity and nonpartisanship through our democracy agenda.
- Commitment to Common Cause’s issues and public interest advocacy.
- Familiarity with Pennsylvania’s cultural norms, political landscape, media and the state legislative process.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with and build alliances among diverse communities and stakeholders, including but not limited to people of color, people of diverse political affiliations, business leaders, young people, and members of the faith community.
TO APPLY: Please submit resume and cover letter to Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org and include EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR – Pennsylvania in the subject line. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
EQUITY & INCLUSION: All qualified applicants wil receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Common Cause is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
ABOUT COMMON CAUSE:
Common Cause (501(c)(4)) and Common Cause Education Fund (501(c)(3)) are nonpartisan, nonprofit grassroots affiliate organizations dedicated to upholding the core values of American democracy. We work to create open, honest, and accountable government that serves the public interest; promote equal rights, opportunity, and representation for all; and empower all people to make their voices heard in the political process. Founded in 1970 and headquartered in Washington, DC, Common Cause has more than 1.2 million members and supporters living in every Congressional district in the United States, and offices in 30 states around the country including PENNSYLVANIA. more information can be found at: www.commoncause.org and for CCPA at https://www.commoncause.org/PENNSYLVANIA.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants of any race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, income class, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or marital status, as well as applicants who have been previously incarcerated.