SALARY: $65,000—$75,000, plus a generous benefits package
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The Executive Director will lead efforts in all areas of the state organization. These areas include fundraising, grassroots organizing, diverse coalition building, research, policy analysis, communications, advocacy, litigation, and any other activities that promote the Common Cause agenda at the state and national level. The Executive Director will also collaborate with and engage the advisory board in advancing the state organization, and fostering a strong, sustainable organization in Georgia.
- Commitment to advancing the Common Cause agenda and mission, including nonpartisanship.
- Manage the operations of Common Cause Georgia, including budgeting, fundraising, and supervising and developing staff, volunteers and interns.
- Work with, develop, and engage a strong state advisory board of directors to develop goals and strategies for achieving mission and organizational goals. Engage and utilize the advisory board in advancing fund-raising objectives.
- Collaborate with staff in Washington DC, the region, and in other states.
- Develop effective, winnable policy reforms at all levels of government and advocate for their passage and implementation.
- Develop and execute lobbying strategies to advance reform and hold federal, state and local elected officials and other decision-makers accountable.
- Produce timely, high quality policy research.
- Develop and implement grassroots organizing strategies with Common Cause members to build support for the Common Cause agenda.
- Build and participate in effective and diverse political and civic coalitions.
- Serve as Common Cause Georgia’s spokesperson in responding to inquiries from media, government officials, and others.
- Maintain communication with members and the public statewide through social media, website updates, and periodic emailed or written communication.
- Encourage members to participate in lobbying and other advocacy activities.
- Raise money from foundations, major donors, members, and special events, and devise other fundraising strategies to fund Common Cause programs, including lobbying efforts.
- Set, in partnership with the board and national staff, fundraising goals for the Georgia organization.
- Coordinate state membership activities with current members as well as expand membership in the state by engaging new members from diverse constituencies with the organization.
Experience, education and technical proficiency:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with five years relevant experience in a political campaign, government, or non-profit organization.
- Organizational leadership experience. 5 or more years management experience, including nonprofit organizations and political campaigns, preferred
- Strong fundraising skills and experience, with a willingness to learn more about and cultivate Common Cause’s network of major donors in Georgia.
- Demonstrated experience working with traditional and new media.
- Commitment to Common Cause’s issues and public interest advocacy.
Ideally you have:
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with a volunteer board, staff/volunteers/interns, and peers in other organizations.
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural competency, including the ability to work effectively with those belonging to groups of diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, language, ability, age and socioeconomic status.
- Commitment to advancing racial equity through our democracy agenda.
- Familiarity with Georgia’s cultural norms, political landscape and the state legislative process.
- Knowledge of desktop publishing, volunteer management, database management, and financial management
- Working knowledge of web content management systems and social media tools including Facebook and Twitter.
- Willingness to travel and flexibility to occasionally work evenings and weekends.
You’ll thrive if you are/have:
- Demonstrated leadership and organizing ability.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with and build alliances among diverse communities and stakeholders, including but not limited to people of color, people of diverse political affiliations, business leaders, young people, and members of the faith community.
EQUITY & INCLUSION: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Common Cause is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
SALARY RANGE $65,000—$75,000, plus a generous benefits package
TO APPLY: Please submit resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Director of Human Resources at email@example.com and include EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR – Georgia in the subject line; or fax to 202.355.7546. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.