Working as part of the Common Cause Communications Department, this position is responsible for coordinating communications strategies and support in east region states to assist their strategic communications and media needs; working as part of communications department keep the team informed on upcoming opportunities and trends emerging from the east region; and working with state staff to increase capacity around communications functions. Additionally, this position may have issue-specific content production or other tasks assigned to it by the VP of Communications.
Based in the Washington, DC office (preferred), this position works directly with national and state staff will be responsible for:
- Coordinating state activities, state executive directors or communications staff where applicable, state-based media, and other communications staff to coordinate
- Working on communication strategies to amplify the Common Cause work in Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island
- This work may include coordination of media efforts outside the east region.
- Work closely with national and state policy staff, and other communications and digital staff providing overall communication to each state operation.
- Experience in strategic communications, media relations, social media
- Strong writing and editing skills with accuracy and speed being highly valued;
- Knowledge of congressional or state legislative operations and political campaigns preferred
- Ability to work in close collaboration with others, but also independently, and with remote management and colleagues;
- Demonstrate ability to work under pressure and perform a variety of tasks, solve problems and prevent them when possible
- Well organized and attentive to detail
EQUITY & INCLUSION:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Common Cause is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
$55,000—$75,000, plus a generous benefits package
Please submit resume and cover letter to Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org and include and include EAST REGION COMMUNICATIONS STRATEGIST and YOUR NAME in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to respond as soon as possible.
ABOUT COMMON CAUSE:
Common Cause (501(c)(4) and Common Cause Education Fund (501(c)(3) are nonpartisan, nonprofit grassroots affiliate organizations dedicated to upholding the core values of American democracy. We work to create open, honest, and accountable government that serves the public interest; promote equal rights, opportunity, and representation for all; and empower all people to make their voices heard in the political process. Founded in 1970 and headquartered in Washington, DC, Common Cause has more than 1.2 million members and supporters living in every Congressional district in the United States, and chapters in 30 states around the country. More information can be found at: www.commoncause.org.