Salary and Term Info: This is a full-time term-limited position with a salary of $50,000- $60,000, contingent upon experience and qualifications. This position will continue until March 1, 2022, but maybe extended pending funding.
Foreign actors, online trolls, and partisan activists deployed disinformation in the 2020 elections and continue to use disinformation in attempts to weaken our democracy, including rolling back voting rights in states like Georgia and Arizona, sowing disinformation about the 2020 Census, and more. Common Cause Education Fund is hiring a Disinformation Analyst to analyze and combat disinformation on our key democracy priorities, including stopping the roll-back of voting rights laws, the passage of federal democracy reform, a fair redistricting process and reducing the influence of money in politics. Disinformation threatens democratic progress on all of these priorities, and the Disinformation Analyst will help our national and state staff combat disinformation to level the playing field for democracy reform.
The Disinformation Analyst will review thousands of disinformation reports submitted by volunteers and grassroots groups, and triage them for action. The Disinformation Analyst will help strengthen democracy by analyzing the disinformation about key democracy issues that Common Cause advocates for. The Disinformation Analyst will work with a team or organizers and campaigners to identify disinformation threats to advancing our agenda and help to prioritize and combat them.
The Disinformation Analyst will:
- Review and edit incoming submissions of disinformation from Social Media Monitoring grassroots volunteers, public tiplines and other submission portals.
- Maintain our disinformation database, adding additional context and other metadata to submissions and connecting tips together to show bigger picture narratives.
- Set up Smart Social Listening monitoring and review it daily, adding disinformation examples to collaboration platform. Determine which platforms should be monitored.
- Create rapid-response Threat Reports for Common Cause and our coalition allies.
- Produce weekly reports/briefing on key disinformation narratives.
- Track disinformation narratives and add content artifacts to those narratives.
- Assist partner organizations as needed (with technical expertise, analysis, etc.)
- Create memos and presentations describing the democracy disinformation landscape for partner groups and members of the media.
- Assist in media exposes and platform advocacy by providing evidence of terms of service violations.
- Create public-facing memos and presentations cataloging the extent of anti-democracy disinformation and platform failures to enforce terms of service for partner groups and members in the media.
- Liaise and collaborate with anti-disinformation projects at partner organizations
- Submit damaging disinformation content to the social media platforms and request removal.
- Track what content has and hasn’t been removed to help ensure platforms are consistent with their own policies and are held accountable.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrated experience working with nonprofit advocacy organizations
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated by writing for publications (e.g. a report or white paper).
- Demonstrated experience with analyzing disinformation.
Preferred Competencies and Skills:
- Organizing experience in a nonprofit setting.
- Experience working with social media platforms
- Experience working in coalition with multiple organizations.
- Ability to analyze large amounts of information and content, analyze and create actionable insights.
Currently, all national Common Cause staff have the option of working remotely/from home. When it becomes safe to work in the office, the person in this role will have the option to work in the D.C. office or remotely.
Must be able to withstand working on a computer for prolonged periods.
Travel required: N/A
TO APPLY: Email cover letter and resume addressed to Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Disinformation Analyst”.
Work authorization/security clearance requirements: Must be authorized to work in the United States.
Affirmative Action/EEO statement
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applicants of any race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, income class, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status, as well as applicants who have been previously incarcerated.