California Common Cause is a nonpartisan nonprofit organization fighting for a healthier, more equitable, and more inclusive California democracy. We work toward state and local governments that are responsive to and reflective of the communities they are meant to serve. We seek a Development Associate to support our fundraising efforts.
LOCATION: This position can be located anywhere in California.
$55,000-65,000, commensurate with experience
Support California Common Cause’s fundraising efforts. This will include: small-dollar fundraising among Common Cause’s dedicated members, assisting the Executive Director in cultivating large-dollar donors, writing grant proposals and reports, and generally managing and organizing the organization’s fundraising/development activities. This position will work closely with the Executive Director and the Operations Manager.
- Work with the Executive Director to develop and stay on track with a comprehensive fundraising plan
- Implement strategies for encouraging new small-dollar donors, including online engagement of Common Cause’s member base
- Identify major donors statewide and set up one-on-one appointments for the Executive Director. Manage and track donor outreach and do stewardship of individual donors
- Ensure appropriate follow up occurs with donors, supporters, and foundations
- Write thank you notes/acknowledgement letters
- Manage donor database
- Assist in foundation outreach, including writing grant proposals and researching prospective foundations that align with Common Cause’s mission
- Track foundation deadlines for grant applications and reporting requirements
- 1-3 years of experience working in nonprofits, campaigns, or advocacy, ideally with some fundraising/development experience
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Extremely high level of attention to detail and organizational skills
- Passion for keeping projects organized, on track, and meeting deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills – friendly, warm, energetic
- Desired but not required: experience raising money, talking to donors, or engaging with foundations
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, activities or responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
EQUITY & INCLUSION:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Common Cause is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
Please submit resume, cover letter and three references to Director of Human Resources at email@example.com and include “Development Associate, California Common Cause” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Covid-19 vaccines are required, except where prohibited by law. Reasonable accommodations will be provided when required by law.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants of any race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, income class, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or marital status, as well as applicants who have been previously incarcerated.