ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The Associate Director works in collaboration with the Executive Director and CCNM contractors and staff in a multifaceted role. Primary functions include day-to-day operations, administrative assistance and oversight, tracking grant agreements, grant reports, develop strategy and management and execution of all aspects of Common Cause New Mexico’s policy with state staff, development and outreach programs including community organizing. Position offers significant opportunity to expand the reach and influence of the organization.
- Develop and execute a strategy for civic and community engagement in politically and culturally diverse communities around the organization’s issues.
- Meet directly with key state and national member groups, reaching out to all members and affiliates active in the region.
- Working with the Executive Director to assist in the development of an organizing plan, attending coalition meetings, speaking to community groups, and increasing grassroots activism.
- Build grassroots support for reforms by mobilizing members and the public through direct outreach, including planning and implementing outreach activities.
- Liaise with those partner organizations to get their members involved in campaign activities (e.g. town halls, house parties, door knocking, phone banks etc.)
- Build and foster new and existing relationships with partners to ensure efficiency and consistency within community organizing strategies. (Supporting and building relationships with key partners is crucial to community building, but so is looking for new voices to be brought to the table)
- Develop donor base to ensure the long-term viability of organization. This includes keeping data organized, helping to identify prospects, making phone calls, organizing events, and, if appropriate, meeting with donors.
- Design and produce an annual fundraising appeal and submit written progress reports regularly to the Common Cause New Mexico Advisory Board.
- Assist Executive Director to manage and draft grant proposals, reports, manage grant cycle deadlines Communications ·
Assist CCNM with communications in writing action alerts, printed newsletters, solicitations and acknowledgements.
- Guide digital media campaigns and message framing with CCNM contractors and community partners
- Coordinate policy talking points for community partners and CCNM staff Lobbying
- Assist with lobbying at the state and municipal levels.
- Work with CCNM staff to coordinate events to educate the public and decision-makers about democracy issues and CCNM
- Recruit volunteers and develop community leaders to support CCNM core campaigns and the organization.
- This position may also require that the applicant make occasional media appearances. May include other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: Experience, education and are/technical proficiency:
- 4-7 years’ experience in policy or electoral campaigns
- Have familiarity with the legislative process in New Mexico.
- Mastery of office technology, including social media, is a must.
Ideally, you’ll have: · A demonstrated commitment to Common Cause’s mission of an open, accountable, and ethical government for New Mexico.
- A demonstrated ability to engage citizens at the grassroots level, speak and write compellingly about policy issues, and implement a campaign plan.
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural competency, including the experience in working effectively with those belonging to groups of diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to: race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, language, ability, age and socioeconomic status.
You’ll thrive if you are/have: · Superior organizational skills and be able to execute multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Willingness to travel and flexibility to occasionally work evenings and weekends.
- Self-starter with an ability to work independently in a deadline-driven environment with competing priorities – this position involves significant contact with members, key stakeholders, and volunteers.
TO APPLY: Please submit Resume and Cover Letter (applications without a Cover Letter will not be considered) to Director of Human Resources at email@example.com and include – Associate Director – New Mexico in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to respond as soon as possible.
SALARY: $65,000 – $70,000, plus generous benefits package.
ABOUT COMMON CAUSE: Common Cause (501(c)(4)) and Common Cause Education Fund (501(c)(3)) are nonpartisan, nonprofit grassroots affiliate organizations dedicated to upholding the core values of American democracy. We work to create open, honest, and accountable government that serves the public interest; promote equal rights, opportunity, and representation for all; and empower all people to make their voices heard in the political process. Founded in 1970 and headquartered in Washington, DC, Common Cause has more than 1.2 million members and supporters living in every Congressional district in the United States, and offices in 30 states around the country including New Mexico. more information can be found at commoncause.org and commoncause.org/new-mexico.
EQUITY & INCLUSION: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Common Cause is committed to equity and diversity.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applicants of any race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, income class, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or marital status, as well as applicants who have been previously incarcerated.