LOCATION: Providence, Rhode Island
SALARY: $42,000-$48,000/yr + generous benefits package + paid vacation. Salary to commensurate with experience.
The Assistant Director is responsible for supporting the mission of Common Cause and assisting the Executive Director in running the state organization. Primary functions include day-to-day operations and management and planning and execution of all aspects of Common Cause’s development and outreach programs. The position offers significant opportunity to assume a leadership role in expanding the reach and influence of the organization, including opportunities to engage in community organizing and campaign planning in support of the organization’s legislative priorities.
- Maintaining small office systems.
- Developing communications with membership including emails and newsletters.
- Managing online content including website and social media.
- Writing and producing fundraising appeals and acknowledgments.
- Submitting written progress reports regularly to the Board.
- Supporting the Board and Executive Director in their relationships with major donors and foundations.
- Coordinating development and educational events.
- Managing all aspects of the production of the Annual Meeting.
- Maintaining and improving fundraising and membership databases, including coordination with national office.
Outreach and advocacy:
- Working with the Executive Director on developing and implementing campaign plans in support of the organization’s educational and policy priorities.
- Working with the Outreach Coordinator to organize and mobilize the membership, both digitally and in-person, in support of Common Cause’s mission, both through social media and community-based events.
- Occasional legislative lobbying.
- Overseeing and organizing volunteers and interns.
Experience, education, and technical proficiency:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- 2-4 years’ experience in non-profit employment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a small office, engage citizens at the grassroots level, speak and write compellingly about policy issues, and implement a campaign plan.
- An ability to write clearly.
- Mastery of office technology and social media platforms.
Ideally, you have:
- Demonstrated commitment to Common Cause’s mission of an open, accountable, and ethical government for Rhode Island.
- Familiarity with the legislative process in Rhode Island.
- Superior organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently.
- A willingness to travel and flexibility to occasionally work evenings and weekends.
You’ll thrive if you are:
- A self-starter with an ability to work independently in a deadline-driven environment with multiple competing priorities.
- Affable, people-oriented, and an excellent communicator, as this position involves significant contact with members, key stakeholders, and volunteers.
EQUITY & INCLUSION:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Common Cause is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
Please submit resume, cover letter and salary requirements(optional) to Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org and include ASSISTANT DIRECTOR – RI in the subject line; or fax to 202.355.7546. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Common Cause (501(c)(4)) and Common Cause Education Fund (501(c)(3)) are nonpartisan, nonprofit grassroots affiliate organizations dedicated to upholding the core values of American democracy. We work to create open, honest, and accountable government that serves the public interest; promote equal rights, opportunity, and representation for all; and empower all people to make their voices heard in the political process.
Founded in 1970 and headquartered in Washington, DC, Common Cause has more than 1.2 million members and supporters living in every Congressional district in the United States, and offices in 30 states around the country including Rhode Island. more information can be found at: www.commoncause.org and for CCRI at www.commoncause.org/rhode-island/.