Location: Washington, DC
Salary: $45,000 – $55,000
*Applications sent after 7/9/19 will not be considered*
The Accounting Assistant will be responsible for processing all invoices for payment, and for undertaking the payments for all creditors in an accurate, efficient, and timely manner. Daily activities may include preparing spreadsheets, and transaction analysis related to the accurate and timely recording of these functions. Performs clerical duties as needed for everyone in the Finance department. Assists with special projects and research as needed.
This is a full-time position working in our National office.
- Review all invoices for appropriate documentation and approval prior to payment.
- Reconcile vendor statements, research and correct discrepancies.
- Enter invoices into the accounting system daily.
- Process check requests and expense reimbursements.
- Assist with the accurate recording and processing of credit card invoices. Prepare monthly aging report for the CFO.
- Maintain files and documentation in accordance with accepted accounting standards.
- Work with Accounts Payable Manager administering the Global Business Travel program.
- Assist with the implementation of automated AP system.
- Maintain lease and consultant schedules to ensure accurate recording and payment.
- Assist with month-end and year-end close and audit preparation as needed.
- Assist in the preparation of budgets including entry into the accounting/budgeting system.
- Assist the CFO and finance team members with projects as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or a related field; or three years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least one year in a non-profit environment preferred.
- Effective written and oral communications skills.
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Excel, MS Word, and accounting software (Abila MIP or similar programs a plus.)
- The ability to act with tact, discretion, and diplomacy.
- Working knowledge and proficiency with social media tools including Facebook and Twitter.
EQUITY & INCLUSION: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Common Cause is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
Salary commensurate with experience, generous benefits and paid vacation. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Common Cause strongly encourages minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities to apply. Legal work authorization required.
TO APPLY: Please submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements(optional) to Director of Human Resources at email@example.com and include ACCOUNTING ASSISTANT in the subject line; or fax to 202.355.7546. No phone calls, please. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
ABOUT US: Common Cause (501(c)(4)) and Common Cause Education Fund (501(c)(3)) are nonpartisan, nonprofit grassroots affiliate organizations dedicated to upholding the core values of American democracy. We work to create open, honest, and accountable government that serves the public interest; promote equal rights, opportunity, and representation for all; and empower all people to make their voices heard in the political process.
Founded in 1970 and headquartered in Washington, DC, Common Cause has more than 1.2 million members and supporters living in every Congressional district in the United States, and offices in 30 states around the country.